Not Yet Making Sense of Political Toleration
A growing number of theorists have argued that toleration, at least in its traditional sense, is no longer applicable to liberal democratic political arrangements—especially if these political arrangements are conceived of as neutral. Peter Jones has tried make sense of political toleration while staying true to its more traditional (disapproval yet non-prevention) meaning. In this article, while I am sympathetic to his motivation, I argue that Jones’ attempt to make sense of political toleration is not successful.
KeywordsToleration Political toleration Neutrality Peter Jones
I am grateful to Glen Newey, Susan Mendus, John Horton and a referee for useful comments on an earlier version of this work.
- Bayle, Pierre. 2005 [1686–1688]. A philosophical commentary on these words of the gospel, Luke 14: 23, ‘Compel them to come in, that my house may be full’. eds John Kilcullen and Chandran Kukathas. Indianapolis: Liberty Fund, Inc.Google Scholar
- Churchill, Robert Paul. 2003. Neutrality and the virtue of toleration. In Toleration, neutrality and democracy, eds Dario Castiglione, and Catriona McKinnon, 65–76. Dordrecht: Kluwer.Google Scholar
- Forst, Rainer. Toleration in conflict. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (Forthcoming).Google Scholar
- Heyd, David. 2008. Is toleration a political virtue? In Toleration and its limits (NOMOS 48), eds Melissa S. Williams, and Jeremy Waldron, 171–194. New York: New York University Press.Google Scholar
- Horton, John. 1996. Toleration as a virtue. In Toleration: An elusive virtue, ed. David Heyd, 28–43. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Jones, Peter. 2003. Toleration and neutrality: Compatible ideals? In Toleration, neutrality and democracy, eds Dario Castiglione, and Catriona McKinnon, 97–110. Dordrecht: Kluwer.Google Scholar
- King, Preston. 1976. Toleration. London: George Allen & Unwin.Google Scholar
- Locke, John. 1983 . A letter concerning toleration. ed. James Tully. Indianapolis: Hackett.Google Scholar
- Newey, Glen. 1999. Virtue, reason and toleration. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.Google Scholar
- Seligman, Adam B. 2003. Tolerance, tradition and modernity. Cardozo Law Review 24: 1645–1656.Google Scholar