Adsorption thermodynamics to clean up wastewater; critical review
- 1.1k Downloads
The current review paper deals with critical evaluation of the thermodynamic parameters of adsorption equilibrium uptakes of heavy metals, dyes and other organic pollutants from the wastewater using low-cost adsorbents, activated carbon derived from agricultural waste, industrial wastes and other important adsorbent materials. Present review paper focus the spontaneity of adsorption processes when the thermodynamic parameters were assessed with the compensation effects of standard enthalpy change (ΔHo) and standard entropy change (ΔSo) with temperature. This paper also investigates the spontaneity of adsorption on the basis of thermodynamic criteria of spontaneity and the temperature range to predict feasibility of the adsorption processes.
KeywordsFree energy Spontaneous Feasible Enthalpy Entropy Standard
The authors would like to acknowledge Mr. P. A. Inamdar, President of M.C.E. Society for providing financial assistance and infra-structural facility under ISTRA Academy, Pune, India.
- Al-Anber ZA, Al-Anber MAS (2008) Thermodynamics and kinetic studies of iron (III) adsorption by Olive cake in a batch system. J Mex Chem Soc 52:108–115Google Scholar
- Atkins PW (2001) Essentials of physical chemistry, 4th edn. Oxford University press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Honga S, Wena C, Hea J, Gana F, Ho Y-S (2009) Adsorption thermodynamics of Methylene Blue onto bentonite. J Hazard Mater 167:630–633Google Scholar
- Khan Bangash F, Manaf A (2005) Dyes removal from aqueous solution using wood activated charcoal of Bombax Cieba tree. J Chin Chem Soc 52:489–494Google Scholar
- Khan AA, Singh RP (1987) Adsorption thermodynamics of carbofuran on Sn (IV) arsenosilicate in H+, Na+ and Ca2+ forms. J Colloid Sci 24:33–42Google Scholar
- Ponnusami V, Aravindhan R, Karthikraj N, Ramadoss G, Srivastava SN (2009) Adsorption of methylene blue onto gulmohar plant leaf powder: equilibrium, kinetic, and thermodynamic analysis. J Envier Prot Sci 3:1–10Google Scholar
- Subramanyan V, Jothinathan L, Ramasamy V (2010) Electrochemical coagulation for chromium removal: process optimization, kinetics, isotherms and sludge characterization. Clean 38:9–16Google Scholar
- Suteu D, Bilba D (2005) Equilibrium and kinetic study of reactive dye brilliant red HE-3B adsorption by activated charcoal. Acta Chim Slov 52:73–79Google Scholar
- Widiastuti N, Wu H, Ang HM, Zhang D (2011) Removal of ammonium from greywater using natural zeolite. Desalination 277:15–23Google Scholar
- Zahoor M (2010) Removal of thiram from aqueous solutions. J Chin Chem Soc 57:1361–1366Google Scholar
- Zawani Z, Chuah AL, Choong TSY (2009) Equilibrium, kinetics and thermodynamic studies: adsorption of Remazol Black 5 on the palm kernel shell activated carbon. Eur J Sci Res 37:67–76Google Scholar