Linear Systems with Large Uncertainties, with Applications to Truss Structures
- 60 Downloads
Linear systems whose coefficients have large uncertainties arise routinely in finite element calculations for structures with uncertain geometry, material properties, or loads. However, a true worst case analysis of the influence of such uncertainties was previously possible only for very small systems and uncertainties, or in special cases where the coefficients do not exhibit dependence.
This paper presents a method for computing rigorous bounds on the solution of such systems, with a computable overestimation factor that is frequently quite small. The merits of the new approach are demonstrated by computing realistic bounds for some large, uncertain truss structures, some leading to linear systems with over 5000 variables and over 10000 interval parameters, with excellent bounds for up to about 10% input uncertainty.
Also discussed are some counterexamples for the performance of traditional approximate methods for worst case uncertainty analysis.
KeywordsLarge Uncertainty Truss Structure Trial Point Uncertain Linear System Interval Solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ANSYS: www.ansys.com
- 2.ANSYS Commands Reference: ANSYS 8.0 Help, ANSYS, 2003.Google Scholar
- 3.COCONUT, COntinuous CONstraints—Updating the Technology, an IST Project funded by the European Union, www.mat.univie.ac.at/~neum/glopt/coconut/index.html
- 6.Muhanna, R. L.: Benchmarks for Interval Finite Element Computations, 2004, http://www.gtsav.gatech.edu/rec/ifem/benchmarks.html
- 8.Muhanna, R. L., Mullen, R. L., and Zhang, H.: Interval Finite Element as a Basis for Generalized Models of Uncertainty in Engineering Mechanics, in: Muhanna, R. L. and Mullen, R. L. (eds), Proc. NSF Workshop Reliable Engineering Computing, Sept. 15–17, 2004, Savannah, pp. 353–370, www.gtsav.gatech.edu/rec/recworkshop/presentations/ presentations.html
- 13.Neumaier, A.: Taylor Forms—Use and Limits, Reliable Computing 9 (1) (2003), pp. 43–79, www.mat.univie.ac.at/~neum/papers.html#taylor
- 14.Popova, E.: Improved Solution Enclosures for Over- and Underdetermined Interval Linear Systems, in: Lirkov, I., Margenov, S., and Wasniewski, J. (eds), Proc. 5th Int. Conf. LSSC, Sozopol, 2005, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3743, 2006, pp. 305–312, http://www.math.bas.bg/~epopova/papers/05lsscEP.pdf
- 17.Pownuk, A.: Efficient Method of Solution of Large Scale Engineering Problems with Interval Parameters Based on Sensitivity Analysis, in: Muhanna, R. L. and Mullen, R. L. (eds), Proc. NSF Workshop Reliable Engineering Computing, Sept. 15–17, 2004, Savannah, pp. 305–316, www.gtsav.gatech.edu/rec/recworkshop/presentations/ presentations.html
- 18.Pownuk, A. and Neumaier, A.: Worst Case Bounds for Uncertain Finite Element Problems, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 21.Schichl, H. and Neumaier, A.: Exclusion Regions for Systems of Equations, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 42 (2004), pp. 383–408, www.mat.univie.ac.at/~neum/papers.html#excl
- 22.Skalna, I.: A Method for Outer Interval Solution of Parametrized Systems of Linear Equations, in: Muhanna, R. L. and Mullen, R. L. (eds), Proc. NSF Workshop Reliable Engineering Computing, Sept. 15–17, 2004, Savannah, pp. 1–14, www.gtsav.gatech.edu/rec/ recworkshop/presentations/presentations.html