The Impacts of an Antitrust Investigation: A Case Study in Agriculture
We analyze the impacts of an antitrust investigation on the purchasing practices of a buying collaboration and its common bidding agent. Using a repeated cross section of prices across procurement auctions that were and were not subjected to the investigation, we find that auction prices in the targeted auctions: (i) significantly increased as soon as the targets were made aware they were under investigation; (ii) remained higher as long as the investigation was open; and (iii) systematically declined to the same low pre-knowledge state after the closure of the investigation without prosecution. Finally, the counterfactual impact on auction prices by the removal of the common bidding agent and the demise of the buying collaboration at a later date was on par with the impacts of the investigation.
KeywordsAntitrust investigation Auction Buying collaboration Common bidding agent Collusion GIPSA
- Bailey, D., & Brorsen, B. W. (1985). Dynamics of regional fed cattle prices. Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, 10(1), 126–133.Google Scholar
- Barboza, D. (1997). 30 firms to pay \(\$900\) million in investor suit, New York Times. Available at http://www.nytimes.com/1997/12/25/business/30-firms-to-pay-900-million-in-investor-suit.html (Last accessed July 2013).
- Boyer, C. N., & Brorsen, B. W. (2013). Changes in beef packers’ market power after the Livestock Mandatory Price Reporting Act: An agent-based auction. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. Available at http://ajae.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/04/17/ajae.aat005.full.pdf+html (Last accessed July 2013).
- Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice. (2000). Antitrust guidelines for collaborations among competitors. Available at http://www.ftc.gov/os/1999/10/jointventureguidelines (Last accessed July 2013).
- Horizontal Merger Guidelines (Department of Justice) (2010). http://www.justice.gov/atr/public/guidelines/hmg-2010.html (last accessed October 2013).
- Informa Economics, Inc. (2010). An estimate of the economic impact of GIPSA’s proposed rules, prepared for National Meat Institute. Available at http://www.meatami.com/ht/a/GetDocumentAction/i/64288 (Last accessed December 2013).
- Koch Group, Inc. (2005). Industrial marketing solutions for manufacturers. Available at http://www.kochgroup.com/benefits.html (Last accessed July 2013).
- Mintert, J., Blair, J., Schroeder, T., & Brazle, F. (1990). Analysis of factors affecting cow auction price differentials. Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, 22(2), 23–30.Google Scholar
- Pendell, D. L., & Schroeder, T. C. (2006). Impact of mandatory price reporting on fed cattle market integration. Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 31(2), 568–579.Google Scholar
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration. (2008). Packers and stockyards statistical reports. Available at http://www.gipsa.usda.gov/GIPSA/webapp?area=newsroom&subject=landing&topic=pub-stat (Last accessed July 2013).
- Werden, G. J. (2003). The effect of antitrust policy on consumer welfare: What Crandall and Winston overlook. Discussion Paper EAG 03–2. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division, Economic Analysis Group, Washington, DC.Google Scholar