Assessing the Efficacy of Structural Merger Remedies: Choosing Between Theories of Harm?
- 158 Downloads
This paper shows that many structural remedies in a sample of European merger cases result in market structures which would probably not be cleared by the Competition Authority (CA) if they were the result of merger (rather than remedy). This is explained by the fact that the CA’s objective through remedy is to restore pre-merger competition, but markets are often highly concentrated even before merger. If so, the CA must often choose between clearing an ‘uncompetitive’ merger, or applying an unsatisfactory remedy. Here, the CA appears reluctant to intervene against coordinated effects, if doing so enhances a leader’s dominance.
KeywordsCollective dominance Coordinated effects Merger remedies Single dominance Tacit collusion
JEL ClassificationL13 L41
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balto D. A. (2001) Lessons from the clinton administration: The evolving approach to merger remedies. The George Washington Law Review 69(5/6): 952–977Google Scholar
- Baer, W. J., & Redcay, R. C. (2003) Solving competition problems in merger control: The requirements for an effective divestiture remedy. In F. Lévêque, & H. Shelanski (Eds.) Merger remedies in American and European union competition law (Chap. 3). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar
- Bergman, M., Coate, M. B., Jakobsson, M., & Ulrick, S. W. (2009). Atlantic divide of Gulf stream convergence: Merger policies in the European Union and the United States. Working paper. Retrieved July 8, 2010, from http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=975102.
- Coate M. B., Ulrick S. W. (2006) Transparency at the Federal Trade Commission: The horizontal merger review process 1996–2003. Antitrust Law Journal 73(2): 531–570Google Scholar
- Competition Commission (2008, May). Merger remedies: Competition Commission guidelines: consultation draft. Retrieved July 8, 2010, from http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/rep_pub/consultations/current/pdf/merger_remedies_guidelines_draft.pdf.
- Davies S. W., Lyons B. R. (2007) Mergers and merger remedies in the EU: Assessing the consequences for competition. Edward Elgar, CheltenhamGoogle Scholar
- Davies, S. W., Olczak, M., & Coles, H. (2010). Tacit collusion, firm asymmetries and numbers: Evidence for EC merger cases. Forthcoming in the International Journal of Industrial Organization. Retrieved July 8, 2010, from http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijindorg.2010.05.005.
- European Commission (2005). Merger remedies study. DG Comp. (European Commission).Google Scholar
- Federal Trade Commission (1999). A study of the Commission’s Divestiture Process. (W. J. Baer and the Staff of the Bureau of Competition).Google Scholar
- Lévêque, F. (2001, November). A preliminary assessment of merger remedies in the EU electricity sector. (Paper presented at a symposium held at the Ecole des Mines de Paris).Google Scholar
- Lévêque, F. (2007). Are merger remedies effective in the EU? CERNA working paper. Retrieved July 8, 2010, from http://www.microeconomix.com/publications/doc_details/55-are-merger-remedies-effective-in-the-eu.html.
- Monti, M. (2003) The Commission’s notice on merger remedies. In F. Lévêque, H. Shelanski (Eds.) Merger remedies in American and European Union competition law (Chap. 1). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar
- Motta M. (2004) Competition policy: Theory and practise. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Motta, M., Polo, M., Vasconcelos, M. (2003) Merger remedies in the European Union: An overview. In F. Lévêque, H. Shelanski (Eds.) Merger remedies in American and European Union competition law (Chap. 7). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar
- Papandropoulos P., Tajana A. (2006) The merger remedies study—in divestiture we trust. European Competition Law Review 8(3): 443–454Google Scholar
- Vergé, T. (2009). Horizontal mergers, structural remedies and consumer welfare in a Cournot oligopoly with assets. Forthcoming in The Journal of Industrial Economics. Retrieved July 8, 2010, from http://www.crest.fr/images/doctravail/2009-10.pdf.