Correlation and Volatility Dynamics in International Real Estate Securities Markets
- 711 Downloads
We study international correlation and volatility dynamics of publicly traded real estate securities using monthly returns from 1984 and 2006. We also examine, for comparison, the correlations among the corresponding stock markets. A multivariate dynamic conditional correlation model captures the time-varying correlation within the full period. We confirm lower correlations between all real estate securities market returns than those between the stock market returns themselves. Some significant variations and structural changes in the correlation structure happened within the sample period. We detect a strong and positive connection between real estate securities market correlations and their conditional volatilities. We also find the international correlation structure of real estate securities and the broader stock market are linked to each other. Our results have economic motivations regarding the potential integration of international real estate securities markets and the possibility of including information on changing correlations and volatilities to design more optimal portfolios for international real estate securities.
KeywordsTime-varying correlation Volatility Dynamic conditional correlation model Real estate securities markets Stock markets
The authors would like to thank an anonymous reviewer, whose constructive comments and suggestions helped improve the paper. Any remaining errors and omissions are the responsibility of the authors.
- Eichholtz, P. M. A. (1996b). The stability of the covariances of international property share returns. Journal of Real Estate Research, 11(2), 149–158.Google Scholar
- Gordon, J., & Canter, T. (1999). Institutional real estate securities: a test of capital market integration. Journal of Real Estate Portfolio Management, 5(2), 161–170.Google Scholar
- Hu, J., & Mei, J. P. (1999). The risk and return of emerging markets property stock indexes. Emerging Markets Quarterly, 3(1), 10–21.Google Scholar
- Liow, K. H., & Sim, M. (2006). The risk and return profile of Asian listed real estate stocks. Pacific Rim Property Research Journal, 12(3), 283–310.Google Scholar
- Lu, K., & Mei, J. P. (1999). The return distributions of property shares in emerging markets. Journal of Real Estate Portfolio Management, 5(2), 145–160.Google Scholar
- Newell, G., & Acheampong, P. (2001). The dynamics of the Australian property trust market risk and correlation profile. Pacific Rim Property Research Journal, 7(4), 259–270.Google Scholar