Marketing Period Risk in a Portfolio Context: Theory and Empirical Estimates from the UK Commercial Real Estate Market
- 479 Downloads
The role of selling (or marketing) period uncertainty in understanding risk associated with property investment is examined in this paper. Using an approach developed by Lin (2004), and Lin and Vandell (2001, 2005), combined with a statistical model of UK commercial property transactions, we show that the ex ante level of risk exposure for a commercial real estate investor is around one and a half times that obtained from historical statistics. The risk related to marketing time uncertainty can be reduced by constructing a portfolio. We find that at least ten properties are necessary to reduce this risk, assuming independence between marketing period risk and price risk. These findings have important implications for mixed-asset portfolio allocation decisions.
KeywordsLiquidity risk Commercial real estate Time on market Transaction process UK
JEL ClassificationsR33 G11 G32
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anglin, P. M. (2003). The value and liquidity effects of a change in market conditions. Mimeo, Department of Economics, University of Windsor.Google Scholar
- Bond, S. A., & Hwang, S. (2005). Smoothing, nonsynchronous appraisal and cross-sectional aggregation in real estate price indices. Paper presented to the American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association Annual Conference, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Crosby, N., & McAllister, P. (2004). Disconstructing the transaction process. Investment Property Forum Working Paper 2 in the series on Liquidity in Commercial Property Markets.Google Scholar
- Feldman, B. E. (2003). Investment policy for securitized and direct real estate: Correcting for liquidity. The Journal of Portfolio Management: Real Estate Issue, 112–121.Google Scholar
- Hudson-Wilson, S., Fabozzi, F. J., & Gordon, J. N. (2003). Why real estate. The Journal of Portfolio Management: Real Estate Issue, 12–24.Google Scholar
- Key, T. (2004). Defining liquidity in property. Investment Property Forum Working Paper 3 in the series on Liquidity in Commercial Property Markets.Google Scholar
- Lin, Z. (2004). Essays on illiquidity and pricing bias in the real estate market, PhD dissertation, University of Wisconsin-Madison.Google Scholar
- Lin, Z., & Vandell, K. D. (2001). Illiquidity and real estate risk. Paper Presented to the Asian Real Estate Society Annual Conference, Tokyo.Google Scholar
- Lin, Z., & Vandell, K. D. (2005). Illiquidity and pricing biases in the real estate market. Working Paper, University of Wisconsin-Madison.Google Scholar