Measuring income tax accrual quality
We develop and validate a measure of tax accrual quality. Tax accrual quality captures variation in the extent to which the income tax accrual maps into income tax-related cash flows, with lower variation indicating a higher quality tax accrual. Low tax accrual quality arises from (1) management estimation error and (2) financial reporting standards that lead to differences between income tax expense and income tax cash flows not captured by deferred tax assets and liabilities. We validate our tax accrual quality measure by showing it is associated with firm characteristics that capture both constructs and by demonstrating it predicts future tax-related restatements and internal control material weaknesses. We illustrate the importance of our measure by showing that investors view tax expense as more informative in firms with better tax accrual quality. Future researchers can use tax accrual quality to address questions related to estimation error in the income tax account.
KeywordsTax accrual quality Financial reporting Income taxes Estimation error
JEL ClassificationH25 M41
- Cheffers, M., Whalen, D., & Thrun, M. (2010). SOX 404 Dashboard: Year 6 update. Sutton, MA: Audit Analytics.Google Scholar
- Choudhary, P., Koester, A., & Pawlewicz, R. (2015). Do auditor-provided tax services affect estimation error in the income tax expense? http://ssrn.com/abstract=2320479.
- Dechow, P., & Schrand, C. (2004). Earnings quality. New York: The Research Foundation of CFA Institute.Google Scholar
- Deloitte. (2013). Checklist for quarterly report on SEC Form 10-Q. http://www.corpgov.deloitte.com/site/caneng/self-assessments-tools-and-other-resources/financial-reporting-tools/. Last accessed December 13, 2014.
- Dyreng, S., & Markle, K. (2013). The effect of financial constraints on tax-motivated income shifting by US multinationals. http://ssrn.com/abstract=2336997.
- Ernst & Young. (2014). To the point: New projects added to FASB and EITF agendas. http://www.ey.com/publication/vwluassetsdld/tothepoint_bb2799_agendaprioritization_14august2014/$file/tothepoint_bb2799_agendaprioritization_14august2014.pdf. Accessed 13 Dec 2014.
- FASB. (1975). Accounting for contingencies. Statement of Financial Accounting Standards No. 5. Norwalk, CT: FASBGoogle Scholar
- FASB. (1992). Accounting for income taxes. Statement of Financial Accounting Standards No. 109. Norwalk, CT: FASB.Google Scholar
- FASB. (2004). Share-based payment. Statement of Financial Accounting Standards No. 123(R). Norwalk, CT: FASB.Google Scholar
- FASB. (2006). Accounting for uncertainty in income taxes: An interpretation of FASB statement No. 109. FASB Interpretation No. 48. Norwalk, CT: FASB.Google Scholar
- Gleason, C., Pincus, M., & Rego, S. (2011). Consequences of material weaknesses in tax-related internal controls for financial reporting and earnings management. http://ssrn.com/abstract=1509765.
- Goh, B., Lee, J., Lim, C. Y., & Shevlin, T. (2014). The effect of corporate tax avoidance on the cost of equity. http://ssrn.com/abstract=2237742.
- Grant Thornton. (2013). Grant Thornton tax function optimization. https://www.grantthornton.com/~/media/content-page-files/tax/pdfs/white-papers-survey-reports-articles/2013/Tax-Function-Optimization-Survey-2013.ashx. Last accessed December 13, 2014.
- Guenther, D., Matsunaga, S., & Williams, B. (2013). Tax avoidance and firm risk. http://ssrn.com/abstract=2153187.
- Internal Revenue Service. (2013). Instructions for Form 1120-W. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1120w.pdf. Last accessed December 13, 2014.
- Li, V., Shevlin, T., & Shores, D. (2015). Mitigating measurement error in the AQ measure of accrual quality. Working paper, University of Washington.Google Scholar
- Linebaugh, K., Thurm, S., & Lessin, J. (2013). Apple tax bill overstated to investors. The Wall Street Journal, May 21.Google Scholar
- Public Company Accounting Oversight Board. (2007). Auditing Standard No. 5: An audit of internal control over financial reporting that is integrated with an audit of financial statements, Appendix A—Definitions. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office.Google Scholar
- Raedy, J., Seidman, J., & Shackelford, D. (2011). Is there information content in the tax footnote? Working paper. http://ssrn.com/abstract=1759266.
- Trochim, W., & Donnelly, J. (2007). Research methods knowledge base (3rd ed.). Mason, OH: Thomson Custom Publishing.Google Scholar
- Usvyatsky, O., & Whalen, D. (2014). Financial restatements: A thirteen year comparison. Sutton, MA: Audit Analytics.Google Scholar