Double integrals and infinite products for some classical constants via analytic continuations of Lerch’s transcendent
- 260 Downloads
The two-fold aim of the paper is to unify and generalize on the one hand the double integrals of Beukers for ζ(2) and ζ(3), and of the second author for Euler’s constant γ and its alternating analog ln (4/π), and on the other hand the infinite products of the first author for e, of the second author for π, and of Ser for e γ . We obtain new double integral and infinite product representations of many classical constants, as well as a generalization to Lerch’s transcendent of Hadjicostas’s double integral formula for the Riemann zeta function, and logarithmic series for the digamma and Euler beta functions. The main tools are analytic continuations of Lerch’s function, including Hasse’s series. We also use Ramanujan’s polylogarithm formula for the sum of a particular series involving harmonic numbers, and his relations between certain dilogarithm values.
KeywordsLerch transcendent Zeta function Infinite product Double integral Polylogarithm
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)11M06 11M35 11Y60 33B15 33B30
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bateman, H., Erdelyi, A.: Higher Transcendental Functions, vol. 1. McGraw-Hill, New York (1953) Google Scholar
- 3.Berndt, B.C.: Ramanujan’s Notebooks, Parts I and IV. Springer, New York (1985, 1994) Google Scholar
- 5.Chapman, R.: A proof of Hadjicostas’s conjecture. Preprint; available at http://arXiv.org/abs/math/0405478 (2004)
- 6.Emery, M.: On a multiple harmonic power series. Preprint; available at http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0411267v2 (2004)
- 10.Hadjicostas, P.: A conjecture-generalization of Sondow’s formula. Preprint; available at http://arXiv.org/abs/math/0405423 (2004)
- 11.Hadjicostas, P.: Personal communication (1 June 2004) Google Scholar
- 16.Ramanujan, S.: Collected Papers of Srinivasa Ramanujan. Hardy, G.H., et al. (eds.) AMS/Chelsea, Providence (2000) Google Scholar
- 18.Somos, M.: Several constants related to quadratic recurrences. Unpublished note (1999) Google Scholar
- 21.Sondow, J.: An infinite product for e γ via hypergeometric formulas for Euler’s constant γ. Preprint; available at http://arXiv.org/abs/math/0306008 (2003)