Euler’s constant, q-logarithms, and formulas of Ramanujan and Gosper
- 159 Downloads
The aim of the paper is to relate computational and arithmetic questions about Euler’s constant γ with properties of the values of the q-logarithm function, with natural choice of~q. By these means, we generalize a classical formula for γ due to Ramanujan, together with Vacca’s and Gosper’s series for γ, as well as deduce irrationality criteria and tests and new asymptotic formulas for computing Euler’s constant. The main tools are Euler-type integrals and hypergeometric series.
KeywordsEuler’s constant q-logarithm Hypergeometric series Euler’s transform Irrationality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bailey, W.N.: Generalized Hypergeometric Series, Cambridge Math. Tracts Vol. 32 Cambridge Univ. Press Cambridge (1935) 2nd reprinted edition New York–London Stechert-Hafner (1964)Google Scholar
- 2.Berndt, B.C., Bowman, D.C.: Ramanujan’s short unpublished manuscript on integrals and series related to Euler’s constant. Constructive, Experimental, and Nonlinear Analysis (Limoges, 1999) CMS Conf. Proc. M. Thera Amer. Math. Soc. Providence, RI, 27, 19–27 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Borwein, P.: On the irrationality of \(\sum\frac1q^n+r\). J. Number Theory. 37, 253–259 (1991)Google Scholar
- 5.Gosper, Jr. R.W.: Personal communication (7 May 2002); Item 120: Accelerating series. HAKMEM Artificial Intelligence Memo No. 239 Massachusetts Institute of Technology, A. I. Laboratory (1972); http://www.inwap.com/pdp10/hbaker/hakmem/hakmem.html
- 7.Sebah, P.: Personal communication (17 December 2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Sondow, J. Criteria for irrationality of Euler’s constant. Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 131, 3335–3344 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Sondow, J.: A hypergeometric approach, via linear forms involving logarithms, to irrationality criteria for Euler’s constant; E-print math.NT/0211075 (November 2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Vacca, G.: A new series for the Eulerian constant γ = .577 γ. Quart. J. Pure Appl. Math. 41, 363–364 (1910)Google Scholar