Normative values of EQ-5D-5L: in a Spanish representative population sample from Spanish Health Survey, 2011
- 425 Downloads
To derive EQ-5D-5L Spanish population norms based on a national representative sample adjusted by age, gender and region.
A representative sample of the Spanish general population (n = 21,007) was used in a cross-sectional study. The source of data was the Spanish National Health Survey 2011–2012. All socio-demographic factors and clinical characteristics were carried to a descriptive analysis. All variables were stratified by region, gender and age-group.
The utility value 1 is the most repeated (62 %) in this representative population sample. This study showed a deterioration of health states as age increases. Overall, men reported better health status than women. In relation to ceiling effect by regions, there was little difference with the highest scores. Conversely, the lowest score corresponds to Galicia.
The paper reports EQ-5D-5L normative data for Spanish general population, based on a national representative sample adjusted by region, gender and age-group. These results may serve as reference data of the population health status. A regional difference in health status could be observed, which might suggest that policies aiming to reduce regional inequalities are important.
KeywordsHRQoL instrument EQ-5D-5L Cross-walk Utility Normative values Spain
- 9.Greene, M. E., Rader, K. A., Garellick, G., Malchau, H., Freiberg, A. A., & Rolfson, O. (2014). The EQ-5D-5L improves on the EQ-5D-3L for health-related quality-of-life assessment in patients undergoing total hip arthroplasty. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 473(11), 3383–90.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Szende, A., & Williams, A. (2004). Measuring self-reported population health: An international perspective based on EQ-5D. Rotterdam: EuroQol Group. SpringMed Publishing.Google Scholar
- 26.Spanish National Statistics Institute. National Health Survey 2011–2012. http://www.ine.es/metodologia/t15/t153041912.pdf. Accessed July 15, 2014.
- 27.EuroQol., EQ-5D-5L., sets. v. http://www.euroqol.org/about-eq-5d/valuation-of-eq-5d/eq-5d-5l-value-sets.html. Accessed July 1, 2012.
- 29.Kularatna, S., Whitty, J. A., Johnson, N. W., Jayasinghe, R., & Scuffham, P. A. (2014). EQ-5D-3L derived population norms for health related quality of life in Sri Lanka, PLoS One, 9(11), e108434.Google Scholar