Assessment of quality of life in children and youth with autism spectrum disorder: a critical review
- 1.6k Downloads
To review the use of quality of life (QOL) measures utilised in children and youth with autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
Relevant articles were identified through database searches using MEDLINE, CINAHL Plus with Full Text and SPORTDiscus with Full Text via EBSCO Health Database, PsycINFO and ProQuest Health and Medicine (from 2000 to May 2013). Original research articles were included that measured QOL in children and youth with ASD aged 5–20 years. Searches were limited to articles from peer-reviewed journals, in English or German, and those available in full text.
The search identified 1,165 titles and 13 met the inclusion criteria. The review identified a number of QOL measures used in children and youth with ASD, with the most common one being the Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory™ (PedsQL). QOL measures using self-reports were uncommon, and the reliability and validity of QOL measures were not sufficiently reported for this population. Large discrepancies in QOL scores were found between self-reports and proxy-reports. Despite the differences in study design and methodological quality, there was consistency in the results among studies; children and youth with ASD provided lower QOL scores, particularly for social domains, compared to their healthy counterparts.
The PedsQL is likely to be an appropriate QOL measure for use in children and youth with ASD. Future research should focus on examining the appropriateness, reliability and validity of QOL self-reports for use in this population.
KeywordsAdolescents Autism Health-related quality of life Paediatric Self-report Social Functioning
- 4.American Psychiatric Association. (2012). DSM-5 proposed criteria for autism spectrum disorder designed to provide more accurate diagnosis and treatment. http://www.dsm5.org.
- 5.Kamp-Becker, I., Schröder, J., Muehlan, H., Remschmidt, H., Becker, K., & Bachmann, C. J. (2011). Health-related quality of life in children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorder. Zeitschrift für Kinder-und Jugendpsychiatrie und Psychotherapie, 39(2), 123–131. doi: 10.1024/1422-4917/a000098.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Simonoff, E., Pickles, A., Charman, T., Chandler, S., Loucas, T., & Baird, G. (2008). Psychiatric disorders in children with autism spectrum disorders: Prevalence, comorbidity, and associated factors in a population-derived sample. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 47(8), 921–929. doi: 10.1097/CHI.0b013e318179964f.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Eldevik, S., Hastings, R. P., Hughes, J. C., Jahr, E., Eikeseth, S., & Cross, S. (2009). Meta-analysis of early intensive behavioral intervention for children with autism. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 38(3), 439–450. doi: 10.1080/15374410902851739.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Limbers, C., Heffer, R., & Varni, J. W. (2009). Health-related quality of life and cognitive functioning from the perspective of parents of school-aged children with Asperger's Syndrome utilizing the PedsQL. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 39(11), 1529–1541. doi: 10.1007/s10803-009-0777-5.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Eiser, C., & Morse, R. (2001). Quality-of-life measures in chronic diseases of childhood. Health Technology Assessment, 5(4). doi: 10.3310/hta5040.
- 19.Coghill, D., Danckaerts, M., Sonuga-Barke, E., Sergeant, J., & The ADHD European Guidelines Group. (2009). Practitioner review: Quality of life in child mental health—conceptual challenges and practical choices. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 50(5), 544–561. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-7610.2009.02008.x.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Davis, E., Waters, E., Mackinnon, A., Reddihough, D., Graham, H. K., Mehmet-Radji, O., et al. (2006). Paediatric quality of life instruments: A review of the impact of the conceptual framework on outcomes. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 48(4), 311–318. doi: 10.1017/s0012162206000673.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Kuhlthau, K., Orlich, F., Hall, T., Sikora, D., Kovacs, E., Delahaye, J., et al. (2010). Health-related quality of life in children with autism spectrum disorders: Results from the Autism Treatment Network. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 40(6), 721–729. doi: 10.1007/s10803-009-0921-2.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Sheldrick, R. C., Neger, E. N., Shipman, D., & Perrin, E. C. (2012). Quality of life of adolescents with autism spectrum disorders: Concordance among adolescents' self-reports, parents' reports, and parents' proxy reports. Quality of Life Research, 21(1), 53–57. doi: 10.1007/s11136-011-9916-5.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Varni, J. W., Handen, B. L., Corey-Lisle, P. K., Guo, Z., Manos, G., Ammerman, D. K., et al. (2012). Effect of Aripiprazole 2 to 15 mg/d on health-related quality of life in the treatment of irritability associated with autistic disorder in children: A post hoc analysis of two controlled trials. Clinical Therapeutics, 34(4), 980–992. doi: 10.1016/j.clinthera.2012.02.023.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Kamp-Becker, I., Schroder, J., Remschmidt, H., & Bachmann, C. J. (2010). Health-related quality of life in adolescents and young adults with high functioning autism-spectrum disorder. GMS Psycho Social Medicine, 7. doi: 10.3205/psm000065.
- 29.Cottenceau, H., Roux, S., Blanc, R., Lenoir, P., Bonnet-brilhault, F., & Barthélémy, C. (2012). Quality of life of adolescents with autism spectrum disorders: Comparison to adolescents with diabetes. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 21(5), 289–296. doi: 10.1007/s00787-012-0263-z.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Kuhlthau, K., Kovacs, E., Hall, T., Clemmons, T., Orlich, F., Delahaye, J., et al. (2013). Health-related quality of life for children with ASD: Associations with behavioral characteristics. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 7(9), 1035–1042. doi: 10.1016/j.rasd.2013.04.006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Varni, J. W., Burwinkle, T. M., Lane, M. M. (2005). Health-related quality of life measurement in pediatric clinical practice: An appraisal and precept for future research and application. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 3(34). doi: 10.1186/1477-7525-3-34.
- 36.Danckaerts, M., Sonuga-Barke, E., Banaschewski, T., Buitelaar, J., Döpfner, M., Hollis, C., et al. (2010). The quality of life of children with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder: A systematic review. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 19(2), 83–105. doi: 10.1007/s00787-009-0046-3.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.World Health Organization. (2012). Programme on mental health: WHOQOL user manual. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/77932/1/WHO_HIS_HSI_Rev.2012.03_eng.pdf.
- 39.Murphy, B., Herrman, H., Hawthorne, G., Pinzone, T., & Evert, H. (2000). The World Health Organization Quality of Life (WHOQOL) Study: Australian WHOQOL-100, WHOQOL-BREF and CA-WHOQOL instruments: User's manual and interpretation guide. Melbourne, Australia: Melbourne WHOQOL Field Study Centre.Google Scholar
- 40.Sapin, C., Simeoni, M.-C., El Khammar, M., Antoniotti, S., & Auquier, P. (2005). Reliability and validity of the VSP-A, a health-related quality of life instrument for ill and healthy adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Health, 36(4), 327–336. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2004.01.016.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 43.Seiber, W. J., Groessl, E. J., David, K. M., Ganiats, T. G., Kaplan, R. M. (2008). Quality of Well Being Self-administered (QWB-SA) scale: User's manual. https://hoap.ucsd.edu/qwb-info/QWB-Manual.pdf.
- 46.United Nations Chidren's Fund. (2005). The convention on the rights of the child: Participation rights.Google Scholar
- 48.Ikeda, E. (2013). Quality of life and self-report in children and adolescents with cognitive disability. Thesis, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand.Google Scholar
- 49.Bastiaansen, D., Koot, H. M., Bongers, I. L., Varni, J. W., & Verhulst, F. C. (2004). Measuring quality of life in children referred for psychiatric problems: Psychometric properties of the PedsQL™ 4.0 generic core scales. Quality of Life Research, 13(2), 489–495. doi: 10.1023/B:QURE.0000018483.01526.ab.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar