The association of responsiveness in oral and general health-related quality of life with patients’ satisfaction of new complete dentures
The objective was to determine the responsiveness properties of the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP) short-forms and 36-item Short-Form (SF-36) in complete denture treatment, and further to evaluate the association between patients’ satisfaction and improvements in oral and general health-related quality of life (OHRQoL and HRQoL) after fitting of new, complete dentures.
Study data were obtained from the ‘Dentures for the Elders through Public Funding’ study conducted in Kaohsiung County. A total of 224 subjects received denture treatments with 6-month follow-up and pre-/post-treatment interviews by questionnaire. The OHIP and SF-36 were used to measure OHRQoL and HRQoL. In addition, specific questions investigating seven aspects of patients’ satisfaction were used to measure the patients’ perceptions of complete denture success. The responsiveness of all outcome measures and their dimensions were assessed by effect size (ES). Multivariable analysis was used to examine the association between patients’ satisfaction and OHIP/SF-36 while adjusting for demographic characteristics.
There were improvements with regard to the ‘physical pain’ (ES = 0.19) and ‘psychological discomfort’ (ES = 0.42) dimensions of the Taiwanese short-form OHIP (OHIP-14T) after new complete denture treatment, but only improvement in the ‘general health’ (ES = 0.17) dimension in the SF-36 measure. Patients satisfied with ‘comfort’ and ‘ease of cleaning’ of their new dentures were significantly associated with the improvement of the OHIP-49 and OHIP-14T.
This study suggests that denture treatments are associated with improvements of OHRQoL, but not in HRQoL. Furthermore, patients’ satisfaction was significantly associated with responsiveness of OHRQoL but less significantly associated with responsiveness of HRQoL.
KeywordsSatisfaction Complete denture OHIP SF-36 Quality of life
Oral health-related quality of life
General health-related quality of life
Oral Health Impact Profile
49-item Oral Health Impact Profile
Taiwanese version of short-form Oral Health Impact Profile
Original English version of short-form Oral Health Impact Profile
Shortened version of the Oral Health Impact Profile appropriate for use in edentulous patients
World Health Organization Quality of Life Scale-Brief
One-way analysis of variance
- 6.Ellis, J. S., Elfeky, A. F., Moynihan, P. J., Seal, C., Hyland, R. M., & Thomason, M. (2010). The impact of dietary advice on edentulous adults’ denture satisfaction and oral health-related quality of life 6 months after intervention. Clinical Oral Implants Research, 21(4), 386–391.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Ozhayat, E. B., & Gotfredsen, K. (2012). Effect of treatment with fixed and removable dental prostheses. An oral health-related quality of life study. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, 39(1), 28–36.Google Scholar
- 9.Awad, M. A., Lund, J. P., Shapiro, S. H., Locker, D., Klemetti, E., Chehade, A., et al. (2003). Oral health status and treatment satisfaction with mandibular implant overdentures and conventional dentures: A randomized clinical trial in a senior population. The International Journal of Prosthodontics, 16(4), 390–396.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Kuo, H.-C., Chen, J.-H., Wu, J.-H., Chou, T.-M., & Yang, Y.-H. (2011). Application of the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP) among Taiwanese elderly. Quality of Life Research, 20(10), 1707–1713.Google Scholar
- 15.Stober, T., Danner, D., Lehmann, F., Seche, A. C., Rammelsberg, P., & Hassel, A. J. (2010). Association between patient satisfaction with complete dentures and oral health-related quality of life: two-year longitudinal assessment. Clinical Oral Investigations, 16(1), 313–318.Google Scholar
- 17.Lu, J. F., Tsai, Y. J., & Tseng, H. M. (2003). Assessment of health-related quality of life in Taiwan (II): Norming and validation of SF-36 Taiwan version. Journal OF public Health, 22, 512–518.Google Scholar
- 22.Lee, I. C., Yang, Y. H., & Ho, P. S. (2012). Exploring the quality of life after denture-wearing within elders in Kaohsiung. Gerodontology, 29(2), e1067–1077.Google Scholar
- 33.Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioural sciences (2nd ed.). Hillside, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum and Associates.Google Scholar