Health-related quality of life in unselected outpatients with heart failure across Spain in two different health care levels. Magnitude and determinants of impairment: The INCA study
- 143 Downloads
To assess health-related quality of life (HRQL) in Spanish outpatients with chronic heart failure (CHF).
Cross-sectional study carried out in a sample of CHF patients (echocardiography was performed in all of them) followed either in Primary Care (PC) centres or Cardiology outpatient clinics throughout Spain. HRQL was evaluated using the EuroQol 5D (EQ-5D) and Minnesota Living with Heart Failure (MLWHF) Questionnaire.
The study subjects were 2161 CHF patients (1412 PC; 749 Cardiology). Patients were older and had more severe disease in PC than in Cardiology settings. Their HRQL scores were likewise worse. After adjusting for clinical variables, the differences in global and physical MLWHF disappeared, but persisted to a smaller degree in EQ-5D and mental MLWHF. HRQL was worse than in a representative sample of the Spanish population and in other chronic conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis or type 2 diabetes, being only comparable to severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
All domains of HRQL were significantly impaired in CHF patients. Differences found in HRQL between PC and Cardiology should possibly be attributed to a large extent to the different clinical characteristics of the patients attended. In spite of the differences between EQ-5D and MLWHF, our results suggest that both questionnaires adequately reflect the severity of the disease.
KeywordsHealth-related quality of life Heart failure
- 5.Lewis, E. F., Johnson, P. A., Johnson, W., Collins, C., Griffin, L., & Stevenson, L. W. (2001). Preferences for quality of life or survival expressed by patients with heart failure. The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, 20(9), 1016–1024. doi: 10.1016/S1053-2498(01)00298-4.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Stewart, A. L., Greenfield, S., Hays, R. D., Wells, K., Rogers, W. H., Berry, S. D., et al. (1989). Functional status and well-being of patients with chronic conditions. Results from the Medical Outcomes Study. Journal of the American Medical Association, 262(7), 907–913. doi: 10.1001/jama.262.7.907.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Calvert, M. J., Freemantle, N., & Cleland, J. G. F. (2005). The impact of chronic heart failure on health-related quality of life data acquired in the baseline phase of the CARE-HF study. European Journal of Heart Failure, 7(2), 243–251. doi: 10.1016/j.ejheart.2005.01.012.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Juenger, J., Schellberg, D., Kraemer, S., Haunstetter, A., Zugck, C., Herzog, W., et al. (2002). Health related quality of life in patients with congestive heart failure: Comparison with other chronic diseases and relation to functional variables. Heart (British Cardiac Society), 87(3), 235–241. doi: 10.1136/heart.87.3.235.Google Scholar
- 10.Alla, F., Briançon, S., Guillemin, F., Juillière, Y., Mertés, P. M., Villemot, J. P., et al. (2002). Self-rating of quality of life provides additional prognostic information in heart failure. Insights into the EPICAL study. European Journal of Heart Failure, 4(3), 337–343. doi: 10.1016/S1388-9842(02)00006-5.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Rodriguez-Artalejo, F., Guallar-Castillón, P., Pascual, C. R., Otero, C. M., Montes, A. O., García, A. N., et al. (2005). Health-related quality of life as a predictor of hospital readmission and death among patients with heart failure. Archives of Internal Medicine, 165(11), 1274–1279. doi: 10.1001/archinte.165.11.1274.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Konstam, V., Salem, D., Pouleur, H., Kostis, J., Gorkim, L., Shumaker, S., et al. (1996). Baseline quality of life as a predictor of mortality and hospitalisation in 5,025 patients with congestive heart failure. The American Journal of Cardiology, 78(8), 890–895. doi: 10.1016/S0002-9149(96)00463-8.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Kosiborod, M., Soto, G. E., Jones, P. G., Krumholz, H. M., Weintraub, W. S., Deedwania, P., et al. (2007). Identifying heart failure patients al risk for near-term cardiovascular events with serial health status assessments. Circulation, 115(15), 1975–1981. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.106.670901.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Rector, T. S., Kubo, S. H., & Cohn, J. N. (1987). Patients’ self-assessment of their congestive heart failure, part 2: Content, reliability and validity of a new measure, the Minnesota Living With Heart Failure Questionnaire. Heart Failure, 3, 198–209.Google Scholar
- 20.Marra, C. A., Woolcott, J. C., Kopec, J. A., Shojania, K., Offer, R., Brazier, J. E., et al. (2005). A comparison of generic, indirect utility measures (the HUI2, HUI3, SF-6D, and the EQ-5D) and disease-specific instruments (the RAQoL and the HAQ) in rheumatoid arthritis. Social Science & Medicine, 60(7), 1571–1582. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2004.08.034.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Mata Cases, M., Roset Gamisans, M., Badia Llach, X., Antoñanzas Villa, F., & Ragel Alcázar, J. (2003). Effect of type-2 diabetes mellitus on the quality of life of patients treated at primary care consultations in Spain. Atencion Primaria, 31(8), 493–499. doi: 10.1157/13047730.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Rutten-van Molken, M. P., Oostenbrink, J. B., Tashkin, D. P., Burkhart, D., & Monz, B. U. (2006). Does quality of life of COPD patients as measured by the generic EuroQol five-dimension questionnaire differentiate between COPD severity stages? Chest, 130(4), 1117–1128. doi: 10.1378/chest.130.4.1117.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Rogers, W. J., Johnstone, D. E., Yusuf, S., Weiner, D. H., Gallagher, P., Bittner, V. A., et al. (1994). Quality of life among 5,025 patients with left ventricular dysfunction randomised between placebo and enalapril: The studies of left ventricular dysfunction. The SOLVD investigators. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 23(2), 393–400.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Majani, G., Giardini, A., Opasichi, C., Glazer, R., Hester, A., Tognoni, G., et al. (2005). Effect of valsartan on quality of life when added to usual therapy for heart failure: Results from the valsartan heart failure trial. Journal of Cardiac Failure, 11(5), 253–259. doi: 10.1016/j.cardfail.2004.11.004.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Otero-Raviña, F., Grigorian-Shamagian, L., Francis-Galiana, L., Názara-Otero, C., Fernández-Villaverde, J. M., Del Álamo-Alonso, A., et al. (2007). Galician study of heart failure in primary care (GALICAP Study). Revista Española de Cardiologia, 60(4), 373–383. doi: 10.1157/13101641.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Lewis, E. F., Lamsa, G. A., O’Meara, E., Grange, C. B., Dunlap, M. E., McKelvie, R. S., et al. (2007). Characterization of health-related quality of life in heart failure patients with preserved versus low ejection fraction in CHARM. European Journal of Heart Failure, 9(1), 83–91. doi: 10.1016/j.ejheart.2006.10.012.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Kitzman, D., Little, W., Brubaker, P. H., Anderson, R. T., Hundley, W. G., Marburger, C. T., et al. (2002). Pathophysiological characterization of isolated diastolic heart failure in comparison to systolic heart failure. Journal of the American Medical Association, 288(17), 2144–2150. doi: 10.1001/jama.288.17.2144.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar