Performance of the SF-36 Health Survey in screening for depressive and anxiety disorders in an elderly female Swedish population
- First Online:
- 510 Downloads
Objective: To assess the sensitivity, specificity and predictive validity of suggested cut-off scores in the SF-36 mental health (MH) and mental component summary (MCS) in screening for depressive and anxiety disorders in a population sample of older Swedish women. Method: The sample comprised 586 randomly selected females aged 70–84 years who took part in an in-depth psychiatric examination. This provided the ‘gold standard’ against which the usefulness of SF-36 recommended thresholds for screening for depressive and anxiety disorders in older Swedish women was examined. Results: Based on DSM-III-R criteria, 69 women (12) were diagnosed with depression (major depression, dysthymia and/or depression NOS) and 49 (8) with generalised anxiety and panic disorders. The previously recommended MH and MCS cut-offs (i.e. 52 and 42) gave a specificity for diagnosis of depression of 92 and 82 and sensitivity of 58 and 71, respectively. Both the MH and MCS were good predictors of depressive disorders but poor predictors of anxiety disorders. Conclusion: The study supports the predictive validity of suggested SF-36 MH and MCS cut-off scores in screening for depressive disorder but not for anxiety disorder in older women in Sweden.
KeywordsAnxiety Depression DSM-III-R criteria MADRS Older people SF-36
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Katona, CLE. 1994Depression in Old AgeWiley and SonsChichesterGoogle Scholar
- 3.Palsson S. (2000). Population studies on depression in the elderly. Prevalence, incidence and relation to cognitive function and dementia. Ph.D. thesis, Institute of Clinical Neuroscience, Departments of Psychiatry and Geriatric Medicine, Göteborg University.Google Scholar
- 5.Ware, JE, Snow, KK, Kosinski, M. 1993SF-36 Health Survey Manual and Interpretation GuideNew England Medical CenterBoston, MAGoogle Scholar
- 6.Sullivan, M, Karlsson, J. 1994SF-36 Hälsoenkät: Svensk manual och tolkningsguide (Swedish Manual and Interpretation Guide)Sahlgrenska University HospitalGöteborgGoogle Scholar
- 7.Ware, JE, Kosinski, M, Keller, SF. 1994SF-36 Physical and Mental Health Summary Scales: A User’s ManualThe Health InstituteBoston, MAGoogle Scholar
- 12.McDowell, I, Newell, C. 1996Measuring Health. A Guide to Rating Scales and QuestionnairesOxford University PressOxfordGoogle Scholar
- 13.Bowling, A. 1996Measuring Disease. A Review of Disease-specific Quality of Life Measurement ScalesOpen University PressBuckinghamGoogle Scholar
- 16.American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 3rd edn, revised, Washington, DC, 1987.Google Scholar
- 20.Steen, B, Djurfeldt, H. 1993The Gerontological and Geriatric population studies in Gothenburg, SwedenZeit Gerontologie2616369Google Scholar