Lévy-driven GPS queues with heavy-tailed input
- 218 Downloads
In this paper, we derive exact large buffer asymptotics for a two-class generalized processor sharing (GPS) model, under the assumption that the input traffic streams generated by both classes correspond to heavy-tailed Lévy processes. Four scenarios need to be distinguished, which differ in terms of (i) the level of heavy-tailedness of the driving Lévy processes as well as (ii) the values of the corresponding mean rates relative to the GPS weights. The derived results are illustrated by two important special cases, in which the queues’ inputs are modeled by heavy-tailed compound Poisson processes and by \(\alpha \)-stable Lévy motions.
KeywordsLévy process Fluid model Queue General processor sharing Exact asymptotics
Mathematics Subject ClassificationPrimary: 60K25 Secondary: 90B22 60G51
K. Dȩbicki was partially supported by NCN Grant No. 2015/17/B/ST1/01102 (2016-2019), whereas P. Liu was partially supported by the Swiss National Science Foundation Grant 200021-166274. M. Mandjes’ research is partly funded by the NWO Gravitation project Networks, Grant Number 024.002.003. He is also affiliated to (A) CWI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands; (B) Eurandom, Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands; and (C) Amsterdam Business School, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- 1.Andersen, L.N., Asmussen, S., Glynn, P., Pihlsgard, M.: Lévy processes with two-sided reflection. In: Lévy Matters V. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, vol. 2149, pp. 67–182. Springer, Cham (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Asmussen, S., Albrecher, H.: Ruin Probabilities. World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., Hackensack, NJ (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Bingham, N.H., Goldie, C.M., Teugels, J.L.: Regular Variation, volume 27 of Encyclopedia of Mathematics and its Applications. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1989)Google Scholar
- 5.Borst, S., Boxma, O., Jelenković, P.: Induced burstiness in general processor sharing queues with long-tailed traffic flows. In: Proceedings of the 37th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, pp. 316–325 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Dȩbicki, K., Mandjes, M.: Queues and Lévy Fluctuation Theory. Springer, Cham (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Dȩbicki, K., Mandjes, M., van Uitert, M.: A tandem queue with Lévy input: a new representation of the downstream queue length. Probab. Eng. Inf. Sci. 21, 83–107 (2007)Google Scholar
- 19.Samorodnitsky, G., Taqqu, M.S.: Stable Non-Gaussian Random Processes: Stochastic Models with Infinite Variance. Chapman & Hall, New York (1994)Google Scholar
- 20.Whitt, W.: Stochastic-Process Limits. Springer-Verlag, New York (2002)Google Scholar