Conditional inter-departure times from the M/G/s queue
- First Online:
- 126 Downloads
We study the mean and the distribution of the time elapsing between two consecutive departures from the stationary M/G/s queue given the number of customers left behind by the first departure is equal to n. It is conjectured that if the failure rate of the service time distribution is increasing (decreasing), then (i) the limit of the mean conditional inter-departure time as n tends to infinity is less (greater) than the mean service time divided by the number of servers s, and (ii) the conditional inter-departure times are stochastically decreasing (increasing) in n for all n≥s.
KeywordsDeparture process Failure rate
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)60K25
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Adan, I.J.B.F., Resing, J.A.C.: A class of Markov processes on a semi-infinite strip. In: Plateau, B., Stewart, W.J., Silva, M. (eds.) NSMC: Numerical Solution of Markov Chains, pp. 41–57. Prensas Universitarias, Zaragoza (1999) Google Scholar
- 3.Kerner, Y.: Some invariance properties of monotone failure rate in the M/G/1 queue. Eurandom Report No. 2009-018, Eindhoven: Eurandom (2009), 7 pp Google Scholar
- 4.Kock, A.A.A., Etman, L.F.P., Rooda, J.E., Adan, I.J.B.F., van Vuuren, M., Wierman, A.C.: Aggregate modeling of multi-processing workstations. Eurandom Report No. 2008-032, Eindhoven: Eurandom (2008), 23 pp Google Scholar
- 6.Neuts, M.F.: Matrix-Geometric Solutions in Stochastic Models. The John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore (1981) Google Scholar
- 7.Veeger, C.P.L., Etman, L.F.P., Lefeber, A.A.J., Adan, I.J.B.F., van Herk, J., Rooda, J.E.: Predicting cycle time distributions for integrated processing workstations: an aggregate modeling approach. Eurandom Report No. 2009-034, Eindhoven: Eurandom (2009), 14 pp Google Scholar
- 8.Veeger, C.P.L., Etman, L.F.P., van Herk, J., Rooda, J.E.: Cycle time distributions of semiconductor workstations using aggregate modeling. In: Proceedings of the Winter 2009 Simulation Conference Austin, Texas (2009) Google Scholar
- 9.Whitt, W.: The queueing network analyzer. Bell Syst. Tech. J. 62, 2779–2815 (1983) Google Scholar