The Physics of No-Bit-Commitment: Generalized Quantum Non-Locality Versus Oblivious Transfer
- 87 Downloads
We show here that the recent work of Wolf and Wullschleger (quant-ph/0502030) on oblivious transfer apparently opens the possibility that non-local correlations which are stronger than those in quantum mechanics could be used for bit-commitment. This is surprising, because it is the very existence of non-local correlations which in quantum mechanics prevents bit-commitment. We resolve this apparent paradox by stressing the difference between non-local correlations and oblivious transfer, based on the time-ordering of their inputs and outputs, which prevents bit-commitment.
KeywordsQuantum non-locality bit-commitment oblivious transfer PR-box
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. H. Bennett and G. Brassard, Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Computers, Systems and Signal Processing, 175 (1984).Google Scholar
- 4.Bell J.S. (1964). Physics 1: 195Google Scholar
- 5.M. A. Nielsen and I. L. Chuang, Quantum Computation and Quantum Information (Cambridge University Press, 2000).Google Scholar
- 7.J. Barrett, N. Linden, S. Massar, S. Pironio, S. Popescu, and D. Roberts, quant-ph/0404097 (2004).Google Scholar
- 8.N. J. Cerf, N. Gisin, S. Massar, and S. Popescu, quant-ph/0410027 (2004).Google Scholar
- 9.S. Wolf and J. Wullschleger, Oblivious Transfer and Quantum Nonlocality, quant-ph/ 0502030 (2005).Google Scholar
- 12.C. Crépeau, Advances in Cryptology: Proceedings of Crypto ’87, Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science 293, 350 (1988).Google Scholar
- 13.J. Kilian, Proc. of the 20th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, 20 (1988).Google Scholar
- 14.Furthermore, in the case of the PR-box, Alice has an output which is correlated with Bob’s input and output, which she can use to help her cheat.Google Scholar
- 15.A. J. Short, N. Gisin, and S. Popescu, in preparation.Google Scholar
- 16.H. Buhrman, M. Christandl, F. Unger, S. Wehner, and A. Winter, Implications of Superstrong Nonlocality for Cryptography. quant-ph/0504133 (2005).Google Scholar