Granting votes: exposing the political bias of intergovernmental grants using the within-between specification for panel data
- 218 Downloads
Instead of alleviating fiscal inequalities, intergovernmental grants are often used to fulfill the grantors’ political goals. This study uses a unique panel dataset on more than 500 Croatian municipalities over a 12-year period to uncover the extent to which grant distribution is biased owing to grantors’ electoral concerns. Instead of the default fixed effects approach to modelling panel data, we apply a novel within-between specification aimed at uncovering the contextual source of variation, focusing on the effects of electoral concerns on grant allocation within and between municipalities. We find evidence of a substantial political bias in grant allocations both within and between municipalities, particularly when it comes to local-level electoral concerns. The paper offers researchers a new perspective when tackling the issue of politically biased grant allocation using panel data, particularly when they wish to uncover the simultaneous impact of time-variant and time-invariant factors, or when they cannot apply a quasi-experimental approach because of specific institutional contexts.
KeywordsIntergovernmental grants Political bias Within-between specification Vote-buying
JEL ClassificationD72 H77 C23
- Atlas, C., Gilligan, T., Hendershott, R., & Zupan, M. (1995). Slicing the federal government net spending pie: Who wins, who loses, and why. The American Economic Review, 85(3), 624–629.Google Scholar
- Bajo, A., & Bronić, M. (2007). Mogu li sve općine i gradovi u Hrvatskoj pružati adekvatne javne usluge? Newsletter Instituta za javne financije, 30(September), 1–7.Google Scholar
- Bartels, B. L. (2015). Beyond fixed versus random effects: A framework for improving substantive and statistical analysis of panel, TSCS, and multilevel data. In R. Franzese (Ed.), Quantitative research in political science (Vol. 4). Thousand Oaks: Sage Publishing.Google Scholar
- Couch, J. F., & Shughart, W. F., II. (1998). The political economy of new deal spending. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar
- Cox, G. W. (2009). Swing voters, core voters, and distributive politics. In I. Shapiro, S. C. Stokes, E. J. Wood, & A. S. Kirshner (Eds.), Political representation. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Curto-Grau, M., Sole-Olle, A., & Sorribas-Navarro, P. (2012). Partisan targeting of inter-governmental transfers and state interference in local elections: Evidence from Spain. IEB Working Paper 2012/31.Google Scholar
- Larcinese, V., Rizzo, L., & Testa, C. (2013). Why do small states receive more federal money? U.S. senate representation and the allocation of federal budget. Economics and Politics, 25(3), 257–282.Google Scholar
- Larcinese, V., Snyder, J. M., & Testa, C. (2010). The political economy of public spending: Evidence from the US states. In F. Padovano & A. Petretto (Eds.), Public choice e political economy: I fondamenti positivi della teoria di finanza pubblica. Milan: Franco Angeli.Google Scholar
- Matthews, M. B., Shughart, W. F., II, & Stevenson, T. P. (2011). Political arithmetic: New evidence on the ‘small-state bias’ in federal spending. Journal of Public Finance and Public Choice, 29(1–3), 55–79.Google Scholar
- Snijders, T. A. B., & Bosker, R. (2011). Multilevel analysis: An introduction to basic and advanced multilevel modeling (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks: SAGE Publications Ltd.Google Scholar
- Sollé-Ollé, A. & Sorribas-Navarro, P. (2008a). Does partisan alignment affect the electoral reward of intergovernmental transfers? Working paper, Institut d’Economia de Barcelona.Google Scholar
- Wooldridge, J. M. (2010). Correlated random effects models with unbalanced panels. Working paper.Google Scholar
- Zastupnički dom Sabora RH. (1993). Zakon o financiranju jedinica lokalne samouprave i uprave. Narodne novine, 117. http://narodne-novine.nn.hr/search.aspx?sortiraj=4&kategorija=1&godina=1993&broj=117&rpp=10&qtype=1&pretraga=da.
- Zastupnički dom Sabora RH. (1996). Zakon o područjima posebne državne skrbi. Narodne novine, 44. http://narodne-novine.nn.hr/search.aspx?sortiraj=4&kategorija=1&godina=1993&broj=117&rpp=10&qtype=1&pretraga=da.