Politicians’ outside earnings and electoral competition
- 229 Downloads
This paper deals with the impact of electoral competition on politicians’ outside earnings. In our framework, politicians face a tradeoff between allocating their time to political effort or to an alternative use generating outside earnings. The main hypothesis is that the amount of time spent on outside work is negatively related to the degree of electoral competition. We test this hypothesis using a new dataset on outside earnings of members of the German federal assembly and find that politicians facing low competition have substantially higher outside earnings.
KeywordsPolitical competition Outside earnings Political rents
- Becker, J., Peichl, A., & Rincke, J. (2008). Politicians’ outside earnings and electoral competition. CPE Discussion Papers 08-3. Google Scholar
- Bundestag (2006). Act on the legal status of Members of the German Bundestag. http://www.bundestag.de/htdocs_e/parliament/function/legal/memlaw.pdf.
- Bundestag (2007). Members of the German Bundestag. http://www.bundestag.de/htdocs_e/members/mdb/index.html.
- Bundeswahlleiter (2008). Bundestagswahlen. http://www.bundeswahlleiter.de/de/bundestagswahlen/.
- Gagliarducci, S., Nannicini, T., & Naticchioni, P. (2007). Outside income and moral hazard: The elusive quest for good politicians. Working Paper. Google Scholar
- Gagliarducci, S., Nannicini, T., & Naticchioni, P. (2008). Electoral rules and politicians’ behavior: A micro test. IZA Discussion Paper No. 3348. Google Scholar
- Mattozzi, A., & Merlo, A. (2007a). Mediocracy. NBER Working Paper No. 12920. Google Scholar
- Mattozzi, A., & Merlo, A. (2007b). Political careers or career politicians. NBER Working Paper No. 12921. Google Scholar
- Persson, T., & Tabellini, G. (2000). Political economics: explaining economic policy. Cambridge and London: MIT Press. Google Scholar
- Persson, T., & Tabellini, G. (2003). The economic effects of constitutions. Cambridge and London: MIT Press. Google Scholar
- Ziobrowski, A. J. (2002). Real estate holding of United States Senators. Appraisal Journal, 70, 76–85. Google Scholar
- Ziobrowski, A. J., & McAlum, H. (2002). The real estate portfolio of the United States House of Representatives. Journal of Real Estate Research, 24(1), 97–115. Google Scholar