Internet-Based Self-Help Intervention for ICD-11 Adjustment Disorder: Preliminary Findings
Adjustment disorder is one of the most diagnosed mental disorders. However, there is a lack of studies of specialized internet-based psychosocial interventions for adjustment disorder. We aimed to analyze the outcomes of an internet-based unguided self-help psychosocial intervention BADI for adjustment disorder in a two armed randomized controlled trial with a waiting list control group. In total 284 adult participants were randomized in this study. We measured adjustment disorder as a primary outcome, and psychological well-being as a secondary outcome at pre-intervention (T1) and one month after the intervention (T2). We found medium effect size of the intervention for the completer sample on adjustment disorder symptoms. Intervention was effective for those participants who used it at least one time in 30-day period. Our results revealed the potential of unguided internet-based self-help intervention for adjustment disorder. However, high dropout rates in the study limits the generalization of the outcomes of the intervention only to completers.
KeywordsAdjustment disorder Stress Internet-based Intervention RCT
This research was funded by a grant (No. MIP-079/2014) from the Research Council of Lithuania.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Authors declare they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 2.Casey P, Doherty A. Adjustment disorder: diagnostic and treatment issues. Psychiatr Time. 2012;29:43–6.Google Scholar
- 9.Olthuis JV, Watt MC, Stewart SH. Therapist-delivered distance cognitive behavioural therapy for anxiety disorders in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011;3. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD009028.
- 19.Skruibis P, Eimontas J, Dovydaitiene M, Mazulyte E, Zelviene P, Kazlauskas E. Internet-based modular program BADI for adjustment disorder: protocol of a randomized controlled trial. BMC Psychiatry. 2016;16(1):264.Google Scholar
- 20.Kazlauskas E, Gegieckaite G, Eimontas J, Zelviene P, Maercker A. A brief measure of ICD-11 adjustment disorder: Investigation of psychometric properties in adult help-seeking sample. Psychopathology. 2017; Forthcoming.Google Scholar
- 22.World Health Organization. World health organization info package: mastering depression in primary care. Frederiksborg: World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe, Psychiatric Research Unit; 1998.Google Scholar
- 25.Botella C, Baños R, Rey B, Alcañiz M, Guillen V, Quero S, et al. Using an adaptive display for the treatment of emotional disorders. CHI ‘06 Ext. Abstr. Hum. Factors Comput. Syst. - CHI EA ’06. New York: ACM Press; 2006. p. 586.Google Scholar
- 28.Eysenbach G. The law of attrition. J Med Internet Res. 2005;e11:7.Google Scholar