Bupropion Versus Sertraline in the Treatment of Depressive Patients with Binge Eating Disorder: Retrospective Cohort Study
This study sought to compare Bupropion versus Sertraline in the treatment of depressed patients with Binge Eating Disorder (BED) prescribed off-label. Medical records of outpatients with diagnosis of BED and Depression (DSM-IV-TR criteria) were selected: 15 patients were treated with bupropion 150 mg/per day, and 15 with sertraline 200 mg/per day. During the screening and control visits (2°–6°–14°–24° week), the selected patients were first weighed and then evaluated using the following questionnaires: Binge Eating Disorder-Clinical Interview (BEDCI), Beck Depression Inventory (BDI), State-Trait Anxiety Inventory X (STAI-X) and Arizona Sexual Experience Scale (ASEX). Both drugs reduced anxious-depressive symptoms and binge frequency: Bupropion showed a better effectiveness in reducing weight and improving sexual performances; weight loss related to it was proportional to the body mass index. Bupropion may be associated with more weight loss in BED, depressed patients than sertraline.
KeywordsBinge Eating Disorder Depression Body Mass Index Sexual performances
The authors would like to thank Dr. Antonina Luca from Catania for her precious help in the first review of this article.
- 1.American Psychiatric Association: Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with eating disorders, third edition. American Journal of Psychiatry 163:4–54, 2006Google Scholar
- 20.Jefferson JW, Rush AJ, Nelson JC, et al.: Extended-release bupropion for patients with major depressive disorder presenting with symptoms of reduced energy, pleasure, and interest: Finding from a, randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled study. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 67:865–873, 2006PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR), 4th edn. Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Association, 2002Google Scholar
- 23.Beck AT, Steer RA: Beck Depression Inventory, Manual. San Antonio, TX, The Psychological Corporation, 1993Google Scholar
- 24.Bocali C: Beck Depression Inventory. PsicoLab-Laboratorio di ricerca e sviluppo in Psicologia, 2006 (Italian)Google Scholar
- 25.First MB, Spitzer RI, Gibbon M, et al.: Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis I Disorders-Outpatient Edition (SCID-O/P, version 2.0). New York, Biometric Research, New York State Psychiatric Institute, 1996Google Scholar
- 26.First MB, Gibbon M, Spitzer RI, et al.: Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Axis II Personality Disorders (SCID-II). Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Press, 1997Google Scholar
- 27.Report of the World Health Organization Consultation of Obesity, Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic of Obesity. Geneva, WHO, 1996Google Scholar
- 28.Spitzer RL, Yanovsky SZ, Marcus MD: Binge Eating Clinical Interview. Pittsburgh, HaPI Record, 1994Google Scholar
- 30.Spielberger CD: Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory, Revised Edition. Palo Alto, CA, Consulting Psychologists Press, 1983Google Scholar
- 33.Calandra C, Terranova F, Loiacono P, et al.: Bupropione nel trattamento del disturbo depressivo maggiore: confronto con paroxetina. Italian Journal of Psychopathology 16:128–133, 2010 (Italian)Google Scholar
- 41.Vinai P, Todisco P: Eziopatogenesi. La fame infinita. Turin, Centro Scientifico Editore, pp. 33–44, 2008 (Italian)Google Scholar