Sexting Behaviors Among Young Hispanic Women: Incidence and Association with Other High-risk Sexual Behaviors
- 1.7k Downloads
Several legal cases in the United States in which adolescents were charged with child pornography distribution after sharing nude photographs of themselves with romantic partners or others have highlighted the issue of sexting behaviors among youth. Although policy makers, mental health workers, educators and parents have all expressed concern regarding the potential harm of sexting behaviors, little to no research has examined this phenomenon empirically. The current study presents some preliminary data on the incidence of sexting behavior and associated high risk sexual behaviors in a sample of 207 predominantly Hispanic young women age 16–25. Approximately 20% of young women reported engaging in sexting behavior. Sexting behaviors were not associated with most other high-risk sexual behaviors, but were slightly more common in women who found sex to be highly pleasurable or who displayed histrionic personality traits.
KeywordsSexting Sexual health Adolescent development
- 1.Hastings K: Teenage commits suicide after ‘sexting’ a nude photo to her boyfriend made her life a misery. Daily Mail, 2009. Retrieved 12/3/09 from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1161112/Teenager-commits-suicide-sexting-nude-photo-boyfriend-life-misery.html
- 2.Viellaris R: Teens face tougher laws on sexting in porn crime swoop. Courier Mail, 2010. Retrieved 30/3/10 from http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/national/teens-face-tougher-laws-on-sexting-in-porn-crime-swoop/story-e6freooo-1225838397086
- 3.Pilkington E: Sexting craze leads to child pornography charges. The Guardian, 2010. Retrieved 12/3/09 from http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/14/child-pornography-sexting
- 4.National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy. Sex and tech: Results from a survey of teens and young adults. 2009. Retrieved 12/3/09 from http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/sextech/PDF/SexTech_Summary.pdf
- 5.Lenhart A: Teens and Sexting, Washington, DC, Pew Research Center Publications, 2008. Retrieved 30/3/10 from http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1440/teens-sexting-text-messages?src=prc-latest&proj=peoplepress
- 6.American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual—IV—TR, Arlington, VA, American Psychiatric Association, 2000Google Scholar
- 7.Associated Press: Vermont considers legalizing teen ‘sexting’. Fox News.com. 2009. Retrieved 12/3/09 from http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,514875,00.html.
- 8.Russ D: Ohio to address ‘sexting’ laws. WKYC.com. 2009. Retrieved 12/3/09 from http://www.wkyc.com/print.aspx?storyid=111478.