- 237 Downloads
South Asia, with a quarter of the world’s population, has at least a quarter of the world’s children who should be in primary school but are not. As a region, South Asia will almost certainly fall short of achieving the second EFA goal by 2015: full access to, and completion of, primary education. What can be done now to improve the prospects of achieving the goal as soon after 2015 as possible and to lay a solid foundation for doing so?
KeywordsUniversal primary education Right to education South Asia
- Ahmed, M. (2009). The education challenges: Priorities for the Sixth Plan. Background paper prepared for the Sixth Plan. Dhaka: Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies.Google Scholar
- Ahmed, M., Ahmed, K. S., Khan, N. I., & Ahmed, R. (2007). Access to education in Bangladesh: Country analytic review of primary and secondary education. CREATE Country Analytic Review. Brighton: University of Sussex.Google Scholar
- Aslam, M. (2007). The relative effectiveness of government and private schools in Pakistan: Are girls worse off? RECOUP Working Paper 4. Oxford: Oxford University.Google Scholar
- Government of India (2001). National Census Statistics. http://censusindia.gov.in/Tables_Published/SCST/scst_main.html.
- Govinda, R., & Bandyopadhyay, M. (2008). Access to elementary education in India: Country analytical review. CREATE Pathways to Access Series. New Delhi and Brighton: CREATE-NUEPA. http://www.create-rpc.org/pdf_documents/India_CAR.pdf.
- Lewin, K. (2007). Improving access, equity and transitions in education: Creating a research agenda. CREATE Pathways to Access Series, No. 1. Brighton: CREATE.Google Scholar
- Pratham. (2007). Annual status of education report (rural) 2006. New Delhi: Pratham. http://pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=23947&kwd=.
- Sandkull, O. (2005). Strengthening inclusive education by applying a rights-based approach to education programing. Bangkok: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- Tilak, J. (2010). On the Right to Education Act. [Posting on the National Forum of India on yahoogroups.co.in]. http://educationworldonline.net/index.php/page-article-choice-more-id-2288.
- Tomasevski, K. (2004). Manual on rights-based education. Bangkok: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. (2008). South and West Asia regional overview. Background paper for EFA Global Monitoring Report 2008. Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- UNESCO & UNICEF. (2007). A human rights-based approach to Education for All. New York and Paris: UNICEF and UNESCO.Google Scholar
- Venkataith, S. (1999). Adult and modern education. In S. Venkataith (Ed.), Encyclopedia of contemporary education (pp. 67–68). New Delhi: Anmol Publications.Google Scholar