We provide here reflections on the life and career of David W. Krogmann (1931–2016), a great scientist, a mentor and an outstanding teacher, who had a remarkable impact on anyone who came in contact with him. Dave was a pillar of photosynthesis at Purdue University, and an international authority on electron transfer intermediates in oxygenic photosynthesis, particularly the soluble cytochromes. The photosynthetic system of his choice was cyanobacteria, and one of his major discoveries was the Orange Carotenoid Protein in these microrganisms.
KeywordsCytochromes Cyanobacteria Orange carotenoid protein Electron transport Phosphorylation Plastocyanin
We thank many including: Nick Carpita; Richard Dilley; Manuel Hervás ; Kwok Ki Ho; André T. Jagendorf; Toivo Kallas; Larry Zee Morand; William Ogren; Donald R. Ort, and Rachel R.Weaver, for their help by sending information, and/or photographs. Govindjee thanks the staff of Life Science Information Technology, and the Departments of Plant Biology and of Biochemistry of the University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign for support. We are equally grateful to the Department of Biochemistry of Purdue University for their cooperation in providing information used here.
- Govindjee, Krogmann DW (2006) Discoveries in oxygenic photosynthesis (1727–2003): a perspective chemistry and biology: the transition between the two centuries. Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, Rome, pp. 204–256Google Scholar
- Ho KK, Kerfeld CA, Krogmann DW (2011) The water-soluble cytochromes of cyanobacteria. In: Peschek G, Obinger C, Renger G (eds) The bioenergetic processes of cyanobacteria—from evolutionary singularity to ecological diversity. Springer, Dordrecht, pp 515–540Google Scholar
- Kerfeld C (2016) David W. Krogmann 1934–2016. Amer Soc Plant Biol (ASPB) News (Letter) 43 (4), p. 25 (continued on p. 27)Google Scholar
- Kerfeld CA, Ho KK, Krogmann DW (1997a) The cytochromes c of cyanobacteria. In: Peschek GA, Loffelhardt W, Schmetterer G (eds) The phototrophic prokaryotes, Plenum Press, New York, pp 259–268Google Scholar
- Kerfeld CA, Wu YP, Chan C, Krogmann DW, Yeates TO (1997b) Crystals of the carotenoid-protein from Arthrospira maxima containing uniformly oriented pigment molecules. Acta Crystallogr D 53:720–723Google Scholar