Remembering Joan (Jan) Mary Anderson (1932–2015)
- 228 Downloads
Joan Mary Anderson, known to most people as Jan, was born on May 12, 1932 in Dunedin, New Zealand. She died on August 28, 2015 in Canberra, Australia. To celebrate her life, we present here a brief biography, some comments on her discoveries in photosynthesis during a career spanning more than half a century, and reminiscences from family and friends. We remember this wonderful person who had an unflagging curiosity, creative ability to think laterally, enthusiasm, passion, generosity and love of color and culture.
KeywordBertil Andersson Keith Boardman Lateral heterogeneity Molecular organization of thylakoids Photosystems Stoichiometry of photosystems
We are very grateful to all of Jan’s friends (in alphabetical order: Bertil Andersson; Eva-Mari Aro; Jim Barber; Chris Barrett; Keith Boardman; John Evans; Govindjee; Tony Larkum; Tasso Melis; G. Oquist; and Bob Porra) who contributed their reminiscences. The other three co-authors particularly want to thank Martin Barrett for providing scans of photos of Jan, some of which had never been seen by us. We also thank Cornelia Büchen-Osmond, Duncan Fitzpartick, Govindjee and Geoff Wilson for taking some of the photographs included here.
- Barber J (1979) Energy transfer and its dependence on membrane properties. In: Chlorophyll organisation and energy transfer in photosynthesis. Ciba Foundation Symp. Meeting No. 61 (Special issue), Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 283–304Google Scholar
- Björkman O, Boardman NK, Anderson JM, Thorne SW, Goodchild DJ, Pyliotis NA (1972) Effect of light intensity during growth of Atriplex patula on the capacity of photosynthetic reactions, chloroplast components and structure. Carnegie Inst Year Book 71:115–135Google Scholar
- Govindjee, Björn LO (2012) Dissecting oxygenic photosynthesis: the evolution of the “Z”-scheme for thylakoid reactions. In: Itoh S, Mohanty P, Guruprasad KN (eds) Photosynthesis: overviews on recent progress and future perspective. I.K. Publishers, New Delhi, pp 1–27Google Scholar
- Kamen M (1989) Onward into a fabulous half century. Photosynth Res 21:137–144Google Scholar
- Porra RJ, Thompson WA, Kriedemann (1989) Determination of accurate extinction coefficients and simultaneous equations for assaying chlorophylls a and b extracted with four different solvents: verification of the concentration of chlorophyll standards by atomic absorption. Biochim Biophys Acta 975:384–394CrossRefGoogle Scholar