Gold or silver deposited on layered manganese oxide: a functional model for the water-oxidizing complex in photosystem II
- 327 Downloads
In this report, gold or silver deposited on layered manganese oxide has been synthesized by a simple method and characterized by scanning electron microscopy, transmission electron microscopy, X-ray diffraction spectrometry, atomic absorption spectroscopy, and energy-dispersive X-ray mapping. The gold deposited on layered manganese oxide showed efficient catalytic activity toward water oxidation in the presence of cerium(IV) ammonium nitrate. The properties associated with this compound suggest it is a functional model for the water-oxidizing complex in photosystem II.
KeywordsGold Nano-sized manganese oxide Oxygen Silver Water oxidation
The authors are grateful to the Institute for Advanced Studies in Basic Sciences and the National Elite Foundation for financial support. This study was also supported by grants from the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, Molecular and Cell Biology Programs of the Russian Academy of Sciences to SIA.
- Bockris OM (1977) Energy-the solar hydrogen alternative. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Cahiez G, Alami M, Taylor RJK, Reid M, Foot JS (2004) Manganese dioxide. In: Paquette LA (ed) Encyclopedia of reagents for organic synthesis. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Faunce T, Styring S, Wasielewski MR, Brudvig GW, Rutherford AW, Messinger J, Lee AF, Hill CL, de Groot H, Fontecave M, MacFarlane DR, Hankamer B, Nocera GG, Tiede DM, Dau H, Hillier W, Wang L (2013) Artificial photosynthesis as a frontier technology for energy sustainability. Energy Environ Sci 6:1074–1076CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Glikman TS, Shcheglova IS (1968) Water oxidation by Mn oxide. Kinetika i Kataliz 9:461–480Google Scholar
- Karlsson EA, Lee B, Åkermark T, Johnston TEV, Kärkäs MD, Sun J, Hansson Ö, Bäckvall J, Åkermark B (2011) Photosensitized water oxidation by use of a bioinspired manganese catalyst. Angew Chem Int Ed 123:11122–11919Google Scholar
- Nakamoto K (2009) In infrared and Raman spectra of inorganic and coordination compounds. Wiley-Interscience, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Oyama ST (2008) Mechanisms in homogeneous and heterogeneous epoxidation catalysis. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Young KJ, Gao Y, Brudvig GW (2011) Photocatalytic water oxidation using manganese compounds immobilized in nafion polymer membranes. Australian J Chem 64:1219–1226Google Scholar