Tree-like dendrimers with decreasing number of chromophores from periphery to core is an attractive candidate for light-harvesting applications. Numerous dendritic designs with different kinds of light-collecting chromophores at periphery and an energy-sink at the core have been demonstrated with high energy transfer efficiency. These building blocks are now being developed for several applications such as light-emitting diodes, frequency converters and other photonic devices. This review outlines the efforts that are based on both conjugated and non-conjugated dendrimers.
Keywordsdendrimers electron transfer energy shuttling energy transfer light-harvesting site-isolation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adronov A and Fréchet MJ (2000) Light-harvesting dendrimers. Chem Commun 1701–1710Google Scholar
- V Balzani, A Credi and M Venturi, Photoinduced charge separation and solar energy conversion. Molecular Devices and Machines: a Journey to Nanoworld. Weinheim, Germany: Wiley-VCH (2003b).Google Scholar
- M Braun, S Atalick, DM Guldi, H Lanig, M Brettreich, S Burghardt, M Hatzimarinaki, E Ravanelli, M Prato, R Eldik van and A Hirsch, Electrostatic complexation and photoinduced electron transfer between Zn-cytochromo c and polyanionic fullerene dendrimers. Chem Eur J 9 (2003) 3867-3875CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- M Cotlet, S Masuo, M Lor, E Fron, M Auweraer Van der, K Müllen, J Hofkens and FC Schryver De, Probing the influence of O2 on photoinduced reversible electron transfer in perylenediimide– triphenylamine-based dendrimers by single-molecule spectroscopy. Angew Chem Int Ed 43 (2004a) 6116-6120CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- M Cotlet, S Masuo, G Luo, J Hofkens, M Auweraer Van der, J Verhoeven, K Müllen, XS Xie and FC Schryver De, Probing Conformational dynamics in Single donor-acceptor Synthetic molecules by means of photoinduced reversible electron transfer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U.S.A 101 (2004b) 14343-14348CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- AL Lehninger, DL Nelson and MM. Cox, Principles of biochemistry. NewYork: Worth Publishers Inc (1993).Google Scholar
- Peng Z, Mellinger JS and Kleiman VD (2005) Personal CommunicationGoogle Scholar
- Serin JM, Brousmiche W and Fréchet MT (2002) Cascade energy transfer in a conformationally mobile multichromophoric dendrimer. Chem Commun: 2605–2607Google Scholar
- Unpublished results from our laboratoriesGoogle Scholar