In vivo carotenoid triplet formation in response to excess light: a supramolecular photoprotection mechanism revisited
- 83 Downloads
Carotenoids have been known for their photoprotective role for about 50 years. However, despite many advances in laser flash photolysis, no photodynamic studies have been so far performed on whole cells to determine the harmful threshold of light. In the present work, we investigate the coupling between energy conversion and energy deactivation, in isolated complexes of RC-LH1 and LH2 increasingly integrated systems up to intact cells of the purple anaerobic photosynthetic bacterium Rubrivivax gelatinosus. A continuous light similar to the mean daily sun irradiance on the surface of the earth is found to saturate the in vivo electron transfer turnover and to give rise to carotenoid triplet formation. This accounts for the widespread use of carotenoids among phototrophic prokaryotes and emphasizes their essential protective role in the natural environment.
Keywordscarotenoid triplet light harvesting complex photosynthetic reaction center
light harvesting complexes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fujii, R, Kurahashi, M, Hayakawa, Y, Saiki, K, Harada, J, Matsuura, K, Shimada, K, Koyama, Y 2004Natural selection of longer-chain carotenoids in the reaction center and shorter-chain carotenoids in the LH2 complexes from Rubrivivax gelatinosusCarotenoid Sci745Google Scholar
- Jirsakova, V, Reiss-Husson, F, Agalidis, I, Vrieze, J, Hoff, AJ 1995Triplet states in reaction center, light-harvesting complex B875 and its spectral form B840 from Rubrivivax gelatinosus investigated by absorbance-detected electron spin resonance in zero magnetic field (ADMR)Biochim Biophys Acta1231313322Google Scholar
- Jirsakova, V, Reiss-Husson, F, van Dick, B, Owen, G, Hoff, AJ 1996Characterization of carotenoid triplet states in the light-harvesting complex B800–850 from the purple bacterium Rubrivivax gelatinosusPhotochem Photobiol64363368Google Scholar
- Ronhgdonuwu, FS, Watanabe, Y, Fujii, R, Koyama, Y 2003A first detection of singlet to triplet conversion from the 11 Bu− to the 13 Ag state and triplet internal conversion from the 13 Ag to the 13 Bu state in carotenoids: dependence on the conjugation lengthChem Phys Lett376292301CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Takaichi, S, Shimada, K 1999Pigment composition of two pigment-protein complexes derives from anaerobically and semi-aerobically grown Rubrivivax gelatinosus, and identification of a new keto-carotenoid, 2-ketospirilloxanthinPlant Cell Physiol40613617Google Scholar