Precision turfgrass management: challenges and field applications for mapping turfgrass soil and stress
- 561 Downloads
Spatial and temporal variation of soil, climate, plants and irrigation requirements are challenges for modern agriculture and complex turfgrass sites. Precision agriculture (PA) evolved to improve site-specific management based on obtaining site-specific information. The focus of this concept paper is on the emerging area of precision turfgrass management (PTM) with attention given to: (a) comparing the concepts of PTM and PA in terms of driving forces and challenges that must be addressed for PTM to progress in science and practice and (b) discussion of specific field mapping applications (purposes) for different turfgrass situations such as golf courses, sod production fields and sports fields. The field applications relate to site-specific management of irrigation, salinity, fertilizer application and cultivation. To illustrate the potential for PTM, different approaches that may be necessary for PTM compared to PA are discussed. The initial factor that hindered the adoption of PTM has been the lack of mobile sensor platforms that can determine both key soil and plant properties for turfgrass situations. This paper concentrates on PTM field applications that involve mapping of both soil and plant attributes, in contrast to only optical sensing mapping.
KeywordsSite-specific management Precision turfgrass management (PTM) Water conservation Normalized difference vegetation index (NDVI)
- Australian Centre for Precision Agriculture. (2009). ACPA web-site with for precision agriculture. ACPA, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia. http://www.usyd.edu.au/agric/acpa/.
- Beard, J. B., & Kenna, M. P. (Eds.). (2008). Water Quality and Quantity Issues for Turfgrasses in Urban Landscapes. CAST Special Publication 27. Ames, IA: Council for Agricultural Science and Technology.Google Scholar
- Bell, G. E., & Xiong, X. (2008). The history, role, and potential of optical sensing for practical turf management. In P. Pessaraki (Ed.), Handbook of turfgrass management and physiology (pp. 641–660). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Bouma, J., Stoorvogel, J., van Alphen, B. J., & Booltink, H. W. G. (1999). Pedology, precision agriculture, and the changing paradigm of agricultural research. Soil Science, 63, 1763–1768.Google Scholar
- Carrow, R. N., Cline, V., & Krum, J. (2007). Monitoring spatial variability in soil properties and turfgrass stress: Applications and protocols. In Proceedings of 28th international irrigation show (pp. 641–645). 9–11 Dec 2007. San Diego, CA. Falls Church, VA: Irrigation Assoc.Google Scholar
- Carrow, R. N., & Duncan, R. R. (1998). Salt-affected turfgrass sites: Assessment and management. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Carrow, R. N., & Duncan, R. R. (2008). Turfgrass BMPs for water resources: Holistic-systems approach. In M. Kenna & J. B. Beard (Eds.), Water quality and quantity issues for turfgrasses in urban landscapes (pp. 273–294). Ames, IA: Council for Agricultural Science and Technology. CAST Special Pub. 27.Google Scholar
- Carrow, R. N., Flitcroft, I., & Krum, J. M. (2008). Development of a mobile 4-wenner array based salinity monitoring device for turfgrass situations. In Proceedings of the American Society of Agronomy annual meeting, Oct. 5–9, Houston, TX. http://acs.confex.com/crops/2008am/techprogram/P44582.HTM.
- Carrow, R. N., & Petrovic, A. M. (1992). Effects of traffic on turfgrasses. In D. V. Waddington, R. N. Carrow, & R. S. Shearman (Eds.), Turfgrass. (Chap. 9, pp. 286-330). American Society of Agronomy Monograph No. 32. Madison, WI: A.S.A.Google Scholar
- Dodson, R. G. (2005). Sustainable golf courses—a guide to environmental stewardship. New York, NY: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Dukes, M.D., Haley, M. B., & Hank, S. A. (2006). Sprinkler irrigation and soil moisture uniformity. In Proceedings of 27th international irrigation show (pp. 446–460). 5–7 Nov 2006. San Antonio, TX. Falls Church, VA: Irrigation Assoc. http://www.irrigation.org/gov/pdf/Michael_Dukes_Paper.pdf.
- Duncan, R. R., Carrow, R. N., & Huck, M. (2009). Turfgrass and landscape irrigation water quality: Assessment and management (p. 464). Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Irrigation Association. (2005). Landscape irrigation scheduling and water management. Falls Church, VA: Irrigation Association. http://www.irrigation.org/gov/pdf/liswm_part2of3.pdf.
- Irrigation Association. (2009). Recommended audit guidelines. Falls Church, VA: Irrigation Association. http://www.irrigation.org/certification/pdf/AuditGuidelines_FINAL.pdf.
- Kieffer D. L., & O’Conner, T. S. (2007). Managing soil moisture on golf greens using a portable wave reflectometer. In Proceedings of 28th International Irrigation Show. 9–11 Dec 2007. CD-ROM. Irrigation Association, Falls Church, VA.Google Scholar
- Krum, J. H., Carrow, R. N., & Karnok, K. (2010). Spatial mapping of complex turfgrass sites: Site-specific management units and protocols. Crop Science, 50 (in press).Google Scholar
- McAuliffe, K. W. (2008). The role of performance testing and standards in the sports turf industry: A case study approach. In J. C. Stier, L. Han & D. Li. (Eds.). Proceedings of 2nd international conference on turfgrass management and sports fields (pp. 391–398). International Society of Horticultural Science, Belgium. Acta Horticulturae 783 http://www.actahort.org/books/783/783_41.htm.
- PrecisionAg Work. (2009). Web-site on precision agriculture. Willoughby, OH: PrecisionAG Institute, Meister Media Worldwide. http://www.precisionag.com/works/.
- Rhoades, J. D. (1993). Electrical conductivity methods for measuring and mapping soil salinity. In D. L. Sparks (Ed.), Advances in Agronomy, 49, 201–251.Google Scholar
- Sadler, E. J., Camp, C. R., & Evans, R. G. (2007). New and future technology. In B. A. Stewart and D. R. Nielsen (Eds.) Irrigation of agricultural crops (2nd ed.) Agronomy. Monograph No. 30. (pp. 609–626). Madison, WI: Crop Science Society of America.Google Scholar
- Stowell, L., & Gelernter, W. (2006). Sensing the future. Golf Course Management, 74, 107–110.Google Scholar
- Thigpen, M. (2007). Precision turfing…coming of age, part one. Turfnet—the newsletter 14(9), 1–4. http://www.nutecsoil.com/precision_turfing.pdf.
- Trenholm, L. E., Carrow, R. N., & Duncan, R. R. (1999). Relationship of multispectral radiometry data to qualitative data in turfgrass research. Crop Science, 39, 763–769.Google Scholar