Improving automobile insurance ratemaking using telematics: incorporating mileage and driver behaviour data
- 594 Downloads
We show how data collected from a GPS device can be incorporated in motor insurance ratemaking. The calculation of premium rates based upon driver behaviour represents an opportunity for the insurance sector. Our approach is based on count data regression models for frequency, where exposure is driven by the distance travelled and additional parameters that capture characteristics of automobile usage and which may affect claiming behaviour. We propose implementing a classical frequency model that is updated with telemetrics information. We illustrate the method using real data from usage-based insurance policies. Results show that not only the distance travelled by the driver, but also driver habits, significantly influence the expected number of accidents and, hence, the cost of insurance coverage. This paper provides a methodology including a transition pricing transferring knowledge and experience that the company already had before the telematics data arrived to the new world including telematics information.
KeywordsTariff Premium calculation Pay-as-you-drive insurance Count data models
The study was supported by ICREA Academia, the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness and the ERDF under Grants ECO2016-76203-C2-2-P and ECO2015-66314-R.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- Boucher, J.P., Perez-Marin, A.M., Santolino, M.: Pay-as-you-drive insurance: the effect of the kilometers on the risk of accident. Anales del Instituto de Actuarios Españoles 19, 135–154 (2013)Google Scholar
- Edlin, A.S.: Per-mile premiums for auto insurance. In: Arnott, R., Greenwald, B., Kanbur, R., Nalebuff, B. (eds.) Economics for an imperfect world: essays in honor of Joseph E. Stiglitz. MIT Press, Cambridge (2003)Google Scholar
- Ferreira, J., Minikel, E.: Measuring per mile risk for pay-as-you-drive auto insurance. Transp. Res. Rec. J. Transp. Res. Board 2297(10), 97–103 (2013)Google Scholar
- Litman, T.: Pay-as-you-drive pricing and insurance regulatory objectives. J. Insur. Regul. Natl. Assoc. Insur. Comm. 23(3), 35–53 (2005)Google Scholar
- Newson, R. B.: Somers’ D: a common currency for associations. In: United Kingdom Stata Users’ Group Meetings 2015, No. 01, Stata Users Group (2015)Google Scholar