The return on investment for taxi companies transitioning to electric vehicles
- 673 Downloads
We study whether taxi companies can simultaneously save petroleum and money by transitioning to electric vehicles. We propose a process to compute the return on investment of transitioning a taxi corporation’s fleet to electric vehicles. We use Bayesian data analysis to infer the revenue changes associated with the transition. We do not make any assumptions about the vehicles’ mobility patterns; instead, we use a time-series of GPS coordinates of the company’s existing petroleum-based vehicles to derive our conclusions. As a case study, we apply our process to a major taxi corporation, Yellow Cab San Francisco (YCSF). Using current prices, we find that transitioning their fleet to battery electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles is profitable for the company. Furthermore, given that gasoline prices in San Francisco are only 5.4 % higher than the rest of the United States, but electricity prices are 75 % higher; taxi companies with similar practices and mobility patterns in other cities are likely to profit more than YCSF by transitioning to electric vehicles.
KeywordsElectric vehicles Bayesian networks Public transportation Taxis
The authors would like to acknowledge Jason Baek, Augustin Chaintreau, Earl Oliver, Lisa Patel, and Dr. Catherine Rosenberg for their assistance with this research.
- Aecom: Economic Viability of Electric Vehicles. Aecom Report (2009)Google Scholar
- Bay City News: SFMTA Approves Controversial Taxi Medallion Plan. http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/09/02/111118/. Accessed 20 Oct 2012
- Becker, T.A., Sidhu, I., Tenderich, B.: Electric Vehicles in the United States: A New Model with Forecasts to 2030. Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology (2009)Google Scholar
- Berman, O., Larson, R., Fouska, N.: Optimal Location of Discretionary Service Facilities. Operations Research pp 1–36 (1990)Google Scholar
- Better Place: Better Place to Bring Electric Taxi Program to the San Francisco Bay Area. http://www.betterplace.com/the-company-pressroom-pressreleases-detail/index/id/better-place-to-bring-electric-taxi-program-to-the-san-francisco-bay-area (2010). Accessed 27 April 2011
- Bloomfield, N.G.: Better Place Unveils Europe’s First Battery Switch Station in Denmark. http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1072111_better-place-delivers-electric-cars-battery-swaps-become-real (2012). Accessed 20 Oct 2012
- Canizares, et al.: Towards an Ontario Action Plan For Plug-In Electric Vehicles (2010)Google Scholar
- CBS San Francisco: San Francisco Taxi Fares Go Up. http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/09/02/111118/ (2011). Accessed 20 Oct 2012
- Chevrolet: Chevrolet Volt Specifications. http://gm-volt.com/full-specifications/ (2011). Accessed 5 July 2011
- Cornell University Law School.: US Code, Title 26,30. New Qualified Plug In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit. http://www.nissanusa.com/ev/media/pdf/incentives/nissan-leaf-incentive-federal-2.pdf (2010). Accessed 5 July 2011.
- Crawdad: GPS Mobility Data Set.http://crawdad.cs.dartmouth.edu/meta.php?name=epfl/mobility (2009). Accessed Oct 2010
- Darovsky, et al.: Electric avenue: two case studies on the economic feasibility of the electrification of transportation. Master’s thesis, Duke University (2010)Google Scholar
- Delucchi, M.A., Lipman, T.E.: An analysis of the retail and lifecycle cost of battery-powered electric vehicles. Transportation Research Part D (2001)Google Scholar
- Elgowainy, A., Burnham, A., Wang, M., Molburg, J., Rousseau, A.: Well-to-wheels energy use and greenhouse gas emissions analysis of plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. Center for Transportation Research, Energy Systems Division. ANL/ESD/09-2 (2009)Google Scholar
- EPRI.: Comparing the Benefits and Impacts of Hybrid Electric Vehicle Options. EPRI Report (2001)Google Scholar
- Farrington, R., Rugh, J.: Impact of Vehicle Air Conditioning on Fuel Economy, Tailpipe Emissions, and Electric Vehicle Range. Earth Technologies Forum, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (2000)Google Scholar
- Galbraith, K.: Better Place Unveils Battery Swap Station. http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/13/better-place-unveils-battery-swap-station/ (2009). Accessed 25 April 2011
- Gao, H.O., Kitirattragarn, V.: Taxi owners’ buying preferences of hybrid-electric vehicles and their implications for emissions in New York city. Transp. Res. Part A: Policy Pract. 42(8):1064–1073 (2008)Google Scholar
- GasBuddy: San Francisco Gas Prices. http://www.sanfrangasprices.com/ (2011a). Accessed 12 May 2011
- GasBuddy: Toronto Gas Prices. http://www.torontogasprices.com/ (2011b). Accessed 12 May 2011
- Hensley, R., Knupfer, S.,, Pinner, D.: McKinsey Quarterly: Electrifying Cars: How Three Industries Will Evolve. http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Electrifying_cars_How_three_industries_will_evolve_2370 (2009). Accessed 17 July 2011
- Hensley, R., Knupfer, S.,, Pinner, D.: Green Tech Media: EV Batteries Plummet in Price: Down to $400 a kWh. http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/ev-batteries-dropping-rapidly-in-price/ (2010). Accessed 17 July 2011.
- Kamat, H.: California Air Resources Board: Lithium Ion Batteries for Electric Transportation: Costs and Markets. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/2009symposium/presentations/kamath.pdf (2009). Accessed 17 July 2011
- Kleinrock, L.: Theory, Volume 1, Queueing Systems. Wiley, New York (1975)Google Scholar
- Kliesch, J., Langer, T.: Plug-In Hybrids an Enviornmental and Economic Performance Outlook. American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy Report (2006)Google Scholar
- Koller, D., Friedman, N.: Probabilistic Graphical Models: Principles and Techniques. MIT Press, Cambridge (2009)Google Scholar
- Korte, B., Vygen, J.: Combinatorial Optimization: Theory and Algorithms 3rd edn. Springer, Berlin (2006)Google Scholar
- Kanellos, M.: Green Tech Media: EV Batteries Plummet in Price: Down to $400 a kwH. http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/ev-batteries-dropping-rapidly-in-price/ (2010). Accessed 4 July 2011
- National Research Council: Transitions to Alternative Transportation Technologies: Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles. The National Academies Press, Washington (2010)Google Scholar
- Nissan: Nissan Leaf Pricing Information for California. http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/incentives/show/California#/leaf-electric-car/feature/pricing_information (2011a). Accessed 5 July 2011
- Nissan: The Nissan Leaf. http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/faq/list/charging#/leaf-electric-car/faq/list/charging (2011b). Accessed 28 June 2011
- Prud’homme, R.: Electric Vehicles: A Tentative Economic and Environmental Evaluation. International Transport Forum (2010)Google Scholar
- Reuters: GM Sets $41,000 Price for Electric Chevy Volt. http://ca.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idCATRE66Q4UO20100727 (2010). Accessed 4 Mar 2011
- Russell, S.J., Norvig, P.: Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2003)Google Scholar
- Schaller Consulting: The New York City Taxi Fact Book. http://www.schallerconsult.com/taxi/taxifb.pdf (2006). Accessed 4 July 2011
- Scientific American: Electric Cars: How Much Does it Cost per Charge?. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=electric-cars-cost-per-charg (2009). Accessed 27 April 2011.
- Shidore, N., Bohn, T.: Evaluation of Cold Temperature Performance of the JCS-VL41M PHEV Battery Using Battery HIL. Argonne National Laboratory, USA. http://www.autonomie.net/docs/6%20-%20Papers/CIL/evaluation_of_cold_temperature.pdf (2008)
- Simpson, A.: Cost-benefit analysis of plug-in hybrid electric vehicle technology. 22nd International Battery, Hybrid and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Symposium (2006)Google Scholar
- The Automobile Association: UK and Overseas Fuel Prices.http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuel/ (2011). Accessed 1 Aug 2011.
- The Exploratorium: Cabspotting. http://cabspotting.org/ (2008). Accessed 12 Feb 2011.
- Tom, G., Kurt, P.: California’s Residential Electricity Consumption, Prices, and Bills 1980–2005, California Energy Commission Staff. http://www.energy.ca.gov/2007publications/CEC-200-2007-018/CEC-200-2007-018.PDF (2007). Accessed 5 July 2011
- US Department of Labor: Average energy prices in the San Francisco Area. http://www.bls.gov/ro9/cpisanf_energy.pdf (2010). Accessed 1 July 2011
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics: Average Energy Prices In The San Francisco Area: May 2011. http://www.bls.gov/ro9/cpisanf_energy.htm (2011a). Accessed 14 July 2011
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics: San Francisco Electricity Prices. http://www.bls.gov/ro9/cpisanf_energy.htm (2011b). Accessed 8 June 2011
- Wirasingha, S., Schofield, N., Emadi, A.: Feasibility analysis of converting a chicago transit authority (cta) transit bus to a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. In: Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, 2008. VPPC ’08. IEEE, pp. 1 –7 (2008)Google Scholar
- Yarow, J.: The Cost of a Better Place Battery Swapping Station: $500,000. http://www.businessinsider.com/the-cost-of-a-better-place-battery-swapping-station-500000-2009-4 (2009). Accessed 11 Jan 2011
- Yellow Cab San Francisco: Yellow Cab San Francisco Rates. http://www.yellowcabsf.com/our-service/cab-fares/ (2011). Accessed 4 July 2011
- Zfacts: Current Gas Prices and Price History. Figures from Department of Energy. http://zfacts.com/p/35.html (2010). Accessed 12 July 2011