Change Communication in Public Sector Cutback Management
- 376 Downloads
Budget cuts in public sector organizations create additional strain for employees, often contributing to uncertainty, rumors, and low morale. This study examines the dynamics of communicating about organizational changes in public human service organizations during the cutbacks of the Great Recession from 2008 to 2013. Drawing from in-depth interviews of 45 senior managers in eleven San Francisco Bay Area county public human service agencies, the findings focus on perceived employee responses to change, specific change communication strategies utilized, and how these were shaped by internal and external factors. The study concludes with implications for future practice and research during significant budget reductions in public human service organizations.
KeywordsCutback management Retrenchment Human service organization Public sector Organizational communication
- Armenakis, A. A., Harris, S. G., & Feild, H. S. (2000). Making change permanent: A model for institutionalizing change interventions. In Research in Organizational Change and Development (Vol. 12, pp. 97–128). Emerald Group Publishing Limited. Retrieved from http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1016/S0897-3016(99)12005-6
- Bartunek, J. M., Rousseau, D. M., Rudolph, J. W., & DePalma, J. A. (2006). On the receiving end: Sensemaking, emotion, and assessments of an organizational change initiated by others. The Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 42(2), 182–206. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021886305285455.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bordia, P., Hobman, E., Jones, E., Gallois, C., & Callan, V. J. (2004a). Uncertainty during organizational change: Types, consequences, and management strategies. Journal of Business and Psychology, 18(4), 507–532. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:JOBU.0000028449.99127.f7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bozeman, B., & Bretschneider, S. (1994). The “Publicness Puzzle” in organization theory: A test of alternative explanations of differences between public and private organizations. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 4(2), 197–224.Google Scholar
- Brockner, J. (1990). Scope of justice in the workplace: How survivors react to co-worker layoffs. Journal of Social Issues, 46(1), 95–106. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.1990.tb00274.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Center of Budget and Policy Priorities (2014). Chart Book: The Legacy of the Great Recession. Retrieved from http://www.cbpp.org on August 12, 2014.
- Dunsire, A., Hood, C., & Huby, M. (1989). Cutback management in public bureaucracies: popular theories and observed outcomes in Whitehall. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Graaf, G., Hengeveld-Bidmon, E., Carnochan, S., Radu, P., & Austin, M. J. (2015). The impact of the great recession on county human-service organizations: A cross-case analysis. Human Service Organizations: Management, Leadership & Governance, 0(0), 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1080/23303131.2015.1124820.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Holzer, M. (1986). Workforce reduction and productivity. Public Administration Quarterly, 10(1), 86–98.Google Scholar
- Kanter, R. M., Stein, B., & Jick. (2003). Challenge of Organizational Change: How Companies Experience It and Leaders Guide It. New York: Simon and Schuster.Google Scholar
- Keyton, J. (2014). Communication, organizational culture, and organizational climate. New York: Oxford University Press. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/psycinfo/docview/1696217784/FD77BFECF9E84357PQ/12?accountid=14496
- McNulty, T., & Ferlie, E. (2002). Reengineering Health Care: The Complexities of Organizational Transformation. Oxford: OUP.Google Scholar
- Miles, M. B., Huberman, A. M., & Saldaña, J. (2013). Qualitative data analysis: A methods sourcebook (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Podsakoff, P. M., MacKenzie, S. B., & Bommer, W. H. (1996). Transformational leader behaviors and substitutes for leadership as determinants of employee satisfaction, commitment, trust, and organizational citizenship behaviors. Journal of Management, 22(2), 259–298. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639602200204.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Redding, W.C. (1972). Communication within the organization: An interpretive review of theory and research. New York: Industrial Communication Council.Google Scholar
- Ruffing, K.A. & Friedman, J.A. (2013). Economic downturn and legacy of Bush policies continue to drive large deficits economic recovery measures, financial rescues have only temporary impact. Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. Retrieved from http://www.cbpp.org on August 12, 2014.
- Saldaña, J. (2013). The coding manual for qualitative researchers. Los Angeles, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Stake, R. E. (2006). Multiple case study analysis. New York, NY: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- U.S. Census Bureau State and County Quick Facts. (2014). Retrieved from http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/index.html# on June 12, 2014.
- van der Voet, J., Kuipers, B. S., & Groeneveld, S. (2016). Implementing change in public organizations: The relationship between leadership and affective commitment to change in a public-sector context. Public Management Review, 18(6), 842–865. https://doi.org/10.1080/14719037.2015.1045020.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yin, R. K. (2003). Case study research: Design and methods (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar