Nonlinear effects in the process of propagation of internal waves in the presence of turbulence
- 36 Downloads
In the Boussinesq approximation, we study the nonlinear effects observed in the process of propagation of internal waves in the presence of turbulence. The space damping factor of the waves is evaluated. The Stokes drift velocity and the Euler velocity of the mean current induced by waves due to the presence of nonlinearity are determined. It is shown that the principal contribution to the wave transfer is made by the horizontal velocity of the induced current. The Stokes drift is significant only near the bottom. The vertical component of the Stokes drift velocity obtained with regard for the turbulent viscosity is nonzero.
Keywordsinternal waves turbulent viscosity Stokes drift
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yu. D. Borisenko, A. G. Voronovich, A. I. Leonov, and Yu. Z. Miropol’skii, “On the theory of nonstationary weakly nonlinear internal waves in stratified liquid,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Atmosf. Okean., 12, No. 3, 293–301 (1976).Google Scholar
- 2.R. Grimshaw, “The modulation of an internal gravity wave packet and the resonance with the mean motion,” Stud. Appl. Math., 56, 241–266 (1977).Google Scholar
- 3.M. S. Longuet-Higgins, “On the transport of mass by time varying current,” Deep-Sea Res., 16, No. 5, 431–447 (1969).Google Scholar
- 5.G. S. Dvoryaninov, Effects of Waves in the Boundary Layers of the Atmosphere and the Ocean [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1982).Google Scholar
- 6.H. LeBlond and L. A. Mysak, Waves in the Ocean, Elsevier, Amsterdam (1978).Google Scholar
- 7.L. A. Ostrovskii and I. A. Soustova, “Upper mixed layer as a sink of energy of internal waves,” Okeanologiya, 19, Issue 6, 973–981 (1979).Google Scholar
- 8.L. V. Cherkesov, Hydrodynamics of Waves [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1980).Google Scholar
- 9.A. I. Zadorozhnyi, “Damping of long waves in the exponentially stratified sea,” in: Marine Hydrophysical Investigations [in Russian], Marine Hydrophysical Institute, Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, Sevastopol (1975), pp. 96–110.Google Scholar
- 10.A. A. Slepyshev, “Transfer processes caused by weakly nonlinear internal waves in the presence of turbulence,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Atmosf. Okean., 33, No. 4, 536–548 (1997).Google Scholar