Stationary waves in the flow of a homogeneous fluid with vertical shear of the velocity
- 18 Downloads
A plane problem of free stationary gravitational waves in a horizontal current with vertical shear of the velocity is studied in the linear statement. The determination of the parameters of waves is reduced to the solution of the Sturm–Liouville boundary-value problem. For some vertical distributions of current velocity, we obtain analytic solutions. We propose a numerical algorithm for finding the parameters of waves. On the basis of the performed analysis, we establish the possibility of existence of stationary surface waves in currents for certain ranges of the Froude number. As the Froude number decreases, the waves become shorter, which leads to a faster attenuation of waves disturbances with depth. Under the actual conditions, the waves are short and suffer the influence of shear currents only in the subsurface layer of the ocean.
KeywordsVertical Distribution Current Velocity Froude Number Stationary Wave Vertical Shear
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Stoker, Water Waves, Interscience, New York (1957).Google Scholar
- 3.A. A. Kurkin and E. N. Pelinovskii, Killer Waves: Facts, Theory, and Simulation [in Russian], Nizhniy Novgorod State Techn. Univ., N. Novgorod (2004).Google Scholar
- 4.L. A. Dikii, Hydrodynamic Stability and Dynamics of the Atmosphere [in Russian], Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad (1976).Google Scholar
- 5.H. LeBlond and L. A. Mysak, Waves in the Ocean, Elsevier, Amsterdam (1978).Google Scholar
- 6.A. E. Bukatov, V. I. Vlasenko, L. D. Pukhtyar, and L. V. Cherkesov, Dynamics of Surface and Internal Waves [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1988).Google Scholar
- 7.A. E. Bukatov, V. I. Vlasenko, N. M. Stashchuk, and L. K. Mednikova, Surface and Internal Gravitational Waves in the Ocean [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1989).Google Scholar
- 8.L. V. Cherkesov, V. I. Vlasenko, N. M. Stashchuk, et al., Hydrodynamics of Sea Waves [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1992).Google Scholar
- 9.B. M. Levitan and I. S. Sargsyan, Introduction to the Spectral Theory (Self-Adjoint Ordinary Differential Operators) [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1970).Google Scholar
- 10.N. N. Kalitkin, Numerical Methods [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1978).Google Scholar