Performance enhancement of high-capacity coherent DWDM free-space optical communication link using digital signal processing
- 48 Downloads
In this paper, 1.28 Tbps (32 × 40 Gbps) high-capacity DWDM-FSO link has been investigated for performance enhancement using coherent detection and digital signal processing (DSP). The DP-16QAM-modulated proposed DWDM-FSO link has been analyzed for both adverse weather and turbulent atmospheric conditions. It is observed that when link is subjected to strong turbulence along with adverse weather conditions, the DSP-aided coherent DWDM-FSO receiver achieves target bit error rate (BER) of 10−4 at signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of 36.4 dB, while for similar conditions, the SNR requirements for IM/DD-based DWDM-FSO link shoots by 12.8 dB to 49.2 dB. Also, in terms of operational link range, the proposed link even under strong turbulent conditions serves 1.88 km, whereas IM/DD link was restricted to mere 1.12 km for target of BER of 10−4, thus producing a decent range increment of 760 m. The proposed link has been designed and investigated using OptiSystem™ 14.2.
KeywordsFree-space optical communication Coherent detection Digital signal processing DWDM Atmospheric turbulence Gamma–Gamma channel modeling
The authors gratefully acknowledge the Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, D.A.V Institute of Engineering and Technology and I. K. Gujral Punjab Technical University, India, for providing the necessary infrastructure and facilities for this research work. We are also thankful to anonymous reviewers for their invaluable comments and suggestions which have helped to improve the manuscript.
- 2.Arnon, S., Barry, J.R., Karagiannidis, G.K., Schober, R., Uysal, M. (eds.): Advanced Optical Wireless Communication. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2012)Google Scholar
- 21.Seimetz, M.: Performance of coherent optical square-16-QAM-systems based on IQ-transmitters and homodyne receivers with digital phase estimation. In: Optical Fiber Communication Conference and Exposition and the National Fiber Optic Engineers Conference, Technical Digest, Optical Society of America (2006)Google Scholar
- 24.Li, L., et al.: Free-space optical communication using coherent detection and double adaptive detection thresholds. IEEE Photonics J. 11(1), 1–17 (2019)Google Scholar
- 33.Ly-Gagnon, D.-S., Katoh, K., Kikuchi, K.: Unrepeated 210-km transmission with coherent detection and digital signal processing of 20-Gb/s QPSK signal processing OFC, Anaheim, paper OTuL4 (2005)Google Scholar
- 34.Camatel, S., Ferrero, V., Gaudino, R., Poggiolini, P.: 10 Gbit/s 2-PSK transmission and homodyne coherent detection using commercial optical components. Proceedings, Rimini, paper We4.P.122 (2003)Google Scholar
- 37.Temprana, E., Kuo, B.P.-P., Alic, N., Radic, S., Grubb, S.: 400 Gb/s WDM DP-256-QAM transmission with 50 GHz channel separation. In: Proceedings of IEEE Photonics Conference (2016)Google Scholar
- 42.Rashidi, F., He, J., Chen, L.: Performance investigation of FSO–OFDM communication systems under the heavy rain weather. J. Opt. Commun. 39, 37–42 (2016)Google Scholar