A foresighted strategy for greed-based multicasting algorithms in all-optical mesh networks
For abundant bandwidth, all-optical mesh networks have been more and more important in communications, and multicasting is one of the key technologies to that. The problem to find a minimum multicasting tree is NP-hard, and all the existing algorithms are heuristics. Most of them are based on the idea of being greed. A greedy idea is always shortsighted. While it could get a good local effect, it would obtain a somewhat bad global performance. In this article, we propose a foresighted strategy for greed-based multicasting algorithms. With the co-action of the greedy idea and a foresighted strategy, a multicasting algorithm can get a good local and global performance simultaneously. We introduce the strategy by embedding it in the Member-Only algorithm and investigate two indexes, the average cost of all multicasting requests and the blocking rate of the whole network. Simulation results show that, with the presence of the proposed foresighted strategy, these two targets are all obviously decreased.
KeywordsForesighted strategy Greedy algorithm Multicasting RWA algorithm All-optical network Average cost Blocking rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Wu, K.-D., Wu, J.-C., Yang, C.-S.: Multicast routing with power consideration in sparse splitting WDM networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), vol. 2, pp. 513–517 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Hsieh, C.-Y. Liao, W.-J.: All optical multicast routing in sparse-splitting optical networks. In: Proceedings of the 28th Annual IEEE International Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), pp. 162–167 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Korte B., Vygen J.: Combinatorial Optimization: Theory and Algorithms, 4th edn, pp. 127–149. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, J.-P., Yuan, J.-L., Zhou, X.-W., Yu, X.-S.: A novel multicast routing algorithm in sparse splitting WDM network with power attenuation constraint, online (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Mukherjee B.: Optical WDM Networks, pp. 621–683. Springer, New York (2006)Google Scholar