Patterns of Gene Duplication and Their Contribution to Expansion of Gene Families in Grapevine
- 508 Downloads
Grapevine is an important fruit crop that has undergone a long history of evolution. Analysis of the whole genome sequence of grapevine has revealed presence of an early palaeo-hexaploid along with three complements. Thus, gene duplication and genome expansion are common in this genome. In this study, we identified 17,922 duplicated genes in the whole grapevine genome. Among these, 2,039; 628; 1,428; 722; and 2,942 were identified respectively as produced by genome-wide, tandem, proximal, retrotransposed, and DNA-based transposed duplications. Analyses of the evolutionary patterns for different types of duplication using non-synonymous and synonymous substitution rates uncovered a series of underlying rules. Thereafter, all the grapevine genes were classified into families, and the contributions of different types of duplication to the expansion of large families were revealed. No duplication type was solely responsible for the formation of any large gene family, but some families showed enrichment of a special type of duplication. On the basis of this study, we believe that uncovering the underlying rules for gene duplications, expansions of gene families, and their evolutionary styles will contribute significantly to a comprehensive understanding of the features of the grapevine genome.
KeywordsGrapevine Gene duplication Genome expansion Evolution Gene family
Financial support for this work was provided by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC accession No.: 31171931) and the National Natural Science Foundation of Hubei Province (No.: 2011CDB409).
- Du D, Hao RJ, Cheng TR, Pan HT, Yang WR, Wang J, Zhang QX (2012) Genome-wide analysis of the AP2/ERF gene family in Prunus mume. Plant Mol Biol Rep. doi: 10.1007/s11105-012-0531-6
- Grimmig B, Gonzalez-Perez MN, Leubner-Metzger G, Vogeli-Lange R, Meins F Jr, Hain R, Penuelas J, Heidenreich B, Langebartels C, Ernst D, Sandermann H Jr (2003) Ozone-induced gene expression occurs via ethylene-dependent and -independent signalling. Plant Mol Biol 51:599–607PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jaillon O, Aury JM, Noel B, Policriti A, Clepet C, Casagrande A, Choisne N, Aubourg S, Vitulo N, Jubin C, Vezzi A, Legeai F, Hugueney P, Dasilva C, Horner D, Mica E, Jublot D, Poulain J, Bruyere C, Billault A, Segurens B, Gouyvenoux M, Ugarte E, Cattonaro F, Anthouard V, Vico V, Del Fabbro C, Alaux M, Di Gaspero G, Dumas V, Felice N, Paillard S, Juman I, Moroldo M, Scalabrin S, Canaguier A, Le Clainche I, Malacrida G, Durand E, Pesole G, Laucou V, Chatelet P, Merdinoglu D, Delledonne M, Pezzotti M, Lecharny A, Scarpelli C, Artiguenave F, Pe ME, Valle G, Morgante M, Caboche M, Adam-Blondon AF, Weissenbach J, Quetier F, Wincker P (2007) The grapevine genome sequence suggests ancestral hexaploidization in major angiosperm phyla. Nature 449:463–467PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Martin DM, Aubourg S, Schouwey MB, Daviet L, Schalk M, Toub O, Lund ST, Bohlmann J (2010) Functional annotation, genome organization and phylogeny of the grapevine (Vitis vinifera) terpene synthase gene family based on genome assembly, FLcDNA cloning, and enzyme assays. BMC Plant Biol 10:226PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Paterson AH, Bowers JE, Bruggmann R, Dubchak I, Grimwood J, Gundlach H, Haberer G, Hellsten U, Mitros T, Poliakov A, Schmutz J, Spannagl M, Tang H, Wang X, Wicker T, Bharti AK, Chapman J, Feltus FA, Gowik U, Grigoriev IV, Lyons E, Maher CA, Martis M, Narechania A, Otillar RP, Penning BW, Salamov AA, Wang Y, Zhang L, Carpita NC, Freeling M, Gingle AR, Hash CT, Keller B, Klein P, Kresovich S, McCann MC, Ming R, Peterson DG, Mehboobur R, Ware D, Westhoff P, Mayer KF, Messing J, Rokhsar DS (2009) The Sorghum bicolor genome and the diversification of grasses. Nature 457:551–556PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Velasco R, Zharkikh A, Troggio M, Cartwright DA, Cestaro A, Pruss D, Pindo M, Fitzgerald LM, Vezzulli S, Reid J, Malacarne G, Iliev D, Coppola G, Wardell B, Micheletti D, Macalma T, Facci M, Mitchell JT, Perazzolli M, Eldredge G, Gatto P, Oyzerski R, Moretto M, Gutin N, Stefanini M, Chen Y, Segala C, Davenport C, Dematte L, Mraz A, Battilana J, Stormo K, Costa F, Tao Q, Si-Ammour A, Harkins T, Lackey A, Perbost C, Taillon B, Stella A, Solovyev V, Fawcett JA, Sterck L, Vandepoele K, Grando SM, Toppo S, Moser C, Lanchbury J, Bogden R, Skolnick M, Sgaramella V, Bhatnagar SK, Fontana P, Gutin A, Van de Peer Y, Salamini F, Viola R (2007) A high quality draft consensus sequence of the genome of a heterozygous grapevine variety. PLoS One 2:e1326PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar