A Cost-effective Double-Stranded cDNA Synthesis for Plant Microarrays
DNA microarrays are two-dimensional arrangements of specific probes deposited on a substrate that have been widely used in gene expression analysis by measuring mRNA accumulation. The use of this type of microarrays involves the synthesis of cDNA, which has to be double stranded (ds) if the microarray probes are of the positive strand. We have used a melon custom-synthesized noncommercial NimbleGen microarray to evaluate a modification of the SMART™ (switching mechanism at the 5′ end of the RNA transcript) procedure of ds cDNA synthesis, which differs substantially in its economical cost relative to a widely recommended method based on the nick translation approach. The results suggested that both methods produce cDNA representative of the transcriptome to a similar extent, indicating that the alternative technique provides a cheaper method of ds cDNA synthesis for plant microarray gene expression assays when the RNA starting material is not limiting.
KeywordsMicroarray Double-stranded cDNA Gene expression
This work was supported by grant AGL2009-07552/AGR. We thank Mari Carmen Montesinos and Blanca Gosalvez for their technical assistance.
- Barrett T, Troup DB, Wilhite SE, Ledoux P, Evangelista C, Kim IF, Tomashevsky M, Marshall KA, Phillippy KH, Sherman PM, Muertter RN, Holko M, Ayanbule O, Yefanov A, Soboleva A (2011) NCBI GEO: archive for functional genomics data sets—10 years on. Nucleic Acids Res 39:D1005–D1010PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dudoit S, Gentleman RC, Quackenbush J (2003) Open source software for the analysis of microarray data. Biotechniques, Suppl:45–51Google Scholar
- Lueders T, Friedrich MW (2003) Evaluation of PCR amplification bias by terminal restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis of small-subunit rRNA and mcrA genes by using defined template mixtures of methanogenic pure cultures and soil DNA extracts. Appl Environ Microbiol 69:320–326PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mascarell-Creus A, Cañizares J, Vilarrasa-Blasi J, Mora-García S, Blanca J, Gonzalez-Ibeas D, Saladié M, Roig C, Deleu W, Picó-Silvent B, López-Bigas N, Aranda MA, Garcia-Mas J, Nuez F, Puigdomènech P, Caño-Delgado AI (2009) An oligo-based microarray offers novel transcriptomic approaches for the analysis of pathogen resistance and fruit quality traits in melon (Cucumis melo L.). BMC Genomics 10:467PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- R Development Core Team. R (2010) A language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, AustriaGoogle Scholar
- Raychaudhuri S, Stuart JM, Altman RB (2000) Principal components analysis to summarize microarray experiments: application to sporulation time series. Pac Symp Biocomput 2000:455–466Google Scholar
- Stolf-Moreira R, Lemos EGM, Carareto-Alves L, Marcondes J, Pereira SS, Rolla AAP, Pereira RM, Neumaier N, Binneck E, Abdelnoor RV, Oliveira MCN, Marcelino FC, Farias JRB, Nepomuceno AL (2010) Transcriptional profiles of roots of different soybean genotypes subjected to drought stress. Plant Mol Biol Rep 29:19–34CrossRefGoogle Scholar