Molecular Cloning and Characterization of BcMF22, a Novel Gene Related to Pollen Development and Fertilization in Brassica campestris ssp. chinensis
- 244 Downloads
The BcMF22 (Brassica campestris Male Fertility 22) gene was isolated from Chinese cabbage-pak-choi (B. campestris L. ssp. chinensis Makino, syn. B. rapa ssp. chinensis). The cDNA clone of BcMF22 was 1,870 bp in length and contained an open reading frame (OFF) of 1,260 bp, while the genomic sequence contained no introns. Sequence prediction indicated that BcMF22 might encode a methytransferase. Spatial and temporal expression analyses indicated BcMF22 was preferentially expressed in pollen. Transcripts of BcMF22 were first detected in pollen mother cells and continued to be present in mature pollen. In addition, transcripts were detected in pollinated pistils, approximately 4 h after pollination (4HAP). These results indicated that BcMF22 might be a pollen-preferential gene and was closely involved in pollination.
KeywordsBrassica campestris ssp. chinensis BcMF22 Pollen Pistil HAP
Brassica campestris Male Fertility 22
Open reading frame
Rapid amplification of cDNA ends
Time after pollination
Quantitative real-time RT-PCR
This work was supported by the Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 30871715), the Natural Science Foundation of Zhejiang Province (2010 C12004) and the Key Sci-Technology Project of Zhejiang Province (No. Y3100300).
- Chen C, Liu S, Hao X, Chen G, Cao B, Chen Q, Lei J (2011) Characterization of a pectin methylesterase gene homolog, CaPME1, expressed in anther tissues of Capsicum annuum L. Plant Mol Bio Rep doi 10.1007/s11105-011-0358-6, in press
- Lan L, Chen W, Lai Y, Suo J, Kong Z, Li C, Lu Y, Zhang Y, Zhao X, Zhang X, Zhang Y, Han B, Cheng J, Xue Y (2004) Monitoring of gene expression profiles and isolation of candidate genes involved in pollination and fertilization in rice (Oryza sativa L.) with a 10 K cDNA microarray. Plant Mol Biol 54:471–487PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li Y, Qiu L, Huang L, Cao J (2011) BcJMJ30, the gene encoding jmjC domain-containing histone demethylase is associated with pollen development and fertilization in Brassica campestris ssp. chinensis. Plant Mol Bio Rep doi 10.1007/s11105-011-0356-8, in press
- Zhang A, Chen Q, Huang L, Qiu L, Cao J (2011a) Cloning and expression of an anther-abundant polygalacturonase gene BcMF17 from Brassica Campestris ssp. Chinensis. Plant Mol Bio Rep doi 10.1007/s11105-011-0298-1, in press
- Zhang A, Qiu L, Huang Li, Yu X, Lu G, Cao J (2011b) Isolation and characterization of an anther-specific polygalacturonase gene, BcMF16, in Brassica campestris ssp. chinensis. Plant Mol Bio Rep doi: 10.1007/s11105-011-0341-2, in press