Paecilomyces variotii extracts (ZNC) enhance plant immunity and promote plant growth
- 66 Downloads
Background and aims
The crude extract of the endophyte Paecilomyces variotii known as ZhiNengCong (ZNC) has function of promoting plant growth and enhancing disease resistance and is widely used in China. Our study aims to evaluate the molecular mechanisms of plant growth promotion and disease protection.
We generated transcriptome profiles from ZNC-treated seedlings using RNA sequencing. The function of salicylic acid (SA) in ZNC-mediated immunity was examined using SA biosynthesis and signaling pathway mutants. The concentrations of nitrogen (N) and phosphorus (P) in seedlings under ZNC treatment were measured. The effect of ZNC on the level of the hormone auxin in roots was tested using transgenic plants containing DR5::GFP.
ZNC exhibited ultrahigh activity in promoting plant growth and enhancing disease resistance, even at concentrations as low as 1–10 ng/ml. ZNC induced ROS accumulation, callose deposition, and expression of PR genes. SA biosynthesis and signaling pathways were required for the ZNC-mediated defense response. Moreover, in improving plant growth, ZNC increased the level of auxin in root tips and regulated the absorption of N and P.
According to these results, ZNC is a highly effective plant elicitor that promotes plant growth by inducing auxin accumulation at the root tip at low concentrations and enhances plant disease resistance by activating the SA signaling pathway at high concentrations.
KeywordsPlant elicitors Plant growth promotion Plant endophyte Disease resistance Auxin Salicylic acid
Reactive oxygen species
This study was supported by the Major Agricultural Application Technology Innovation Project of Shandong Province (2016), the Natural Science Fund for Outstanding Young Scholars of Shandong Province (JQ201807), the National Natural Science Foundation (31872925), the National Key Research and Development Program of China (2017YFD0200706), funds of the Shandong “Double Tops” Program, the Taishan Industrial Experts Program (No. tscy20150621), and the Shandong Modern Agricultural Technology & Industry System (SDAIT-17-06).
X.D. designed the experiments. C.L., D.J., L.W., Y. J., S. T., X.H., X.H. performed the experiments. C.L., H.L., Z. L., M.Z., Z.C. and X.D. analyzed the data. C.L., H.L. and X.D. wrote the manuscript. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Chu Z, Zhang M, Ding X, Wang Y, Wang Q, Wang H, Geng Q (2017) A strain of Paecilomyces Wan SJ1 and its application. CHN. Patent number ZL201510059660.1 filed February 5, 2015, issued July 11,2017Google Scholar
- Gordy JW, Leonard BR, Blouin D, Davis JA, Stout MJ (2015) Comparative effectiveness of potential elicitors of plant resistance against Spodoptera frugiperda (J. E. Smith) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) in four crop plants. PLoS one 10(9):e0136689. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0136689 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Khanna K, Jamwal VL, Kohli SK, Gandhi SG, Ohri P, Bhardwaj R, Wijaya L, Alyemeni MN, Ahmad P (2019) Role of plant growth promoting bacteria (PGPRs) as biocontrol agents of Meloidogyne incognita through improved plant defense of Lycopersicon esculentum. Plant Soil 436:325–345. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11104-019-03932-2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li H, Guan Y, Dong Y, Zhao L, Rong S, Chen W, Lv M, Xu H, Gao X, Chen R, Li L, Xu Z (2018) Isolation and evaluation of endophytic Bacillus tequilensis GYLH001 with potential application for biological control of Magnaporthe oryzae. PLoS One 13(10):e0203505. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0203505 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Poncini L, Wyrsch I, Denervaud Tendon V, Vorley T, Boller T, Geldner N et al (2017) In roots of Arabidopsis thaliana, the damage-associated molecular pattern AtPep1 is a stronger elicitor of immune signalling than flg22 or the chitin heptamer. PLoS One 12(10):e0185808. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0185808 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shan W, Zhou Y, Liu H, Yu X (2018) Endophytic actinomycetes from tea plants (Camellia sinensis): isolation, abundance, antimicrobial. And plant-growth-promoting activities. Biomed res Int:1470305. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/1470305
- Verma SK, Kingsley KL, Bergen MS, Kowalski KP, White JF (2018) Fungal disease prevention in seedlings of rice (Oryza sativa) and other grasses by growth-promoting seed-sssociated endophytic bacteria from invasive phragmites australis. Microorganisms 6(1). https://doi.org/10.3390/microorganisms6010021
- Zhong L, Niu B, Tang L, Chen F, Zhao G, Zhao J (2016) Effects of polysaccharide elicitors from endophytic fusarium oxysporum Fat9 on the growth, flavonoid accumulation and antioxidant property of fagopyrum tataricum sprout cultures. Molecules 21(12). https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules21121590