Overexpression of OsDT11, which encodes a novel cysteine-rich peptide, enhances drought tolerance and increases ABA concentration in rice
- 1.3k Downloads
Short-chain peptides play important roles in plant development and responses to abiotic and biotic stresses. Here, we characterized a gene of unknown function termed OsDT11, which encodes an 88 amino acid short-chain peptide and belongs to the cysteine-rich peptide family. It was found that the expression of OsDT11 can be activated by polyethylene glycol (PEG) treatment. Compared with wild-type lines, the OsDT11-overexpression lines displayed dramatically enhanced tolerance to drought and had reduced water loss, reduced stomatal density, and an increased the concentration of abscisic acid (ABA). The suppression of OsDT11 expression resulted in an increased sensitivity to drought compared to wild-type expression. Several drought-related genes, including genes encoding abscisic acid (ABA) signaling markers, were also strongly induced in the OsDT11-overexpressing lines. Moreover, the expression of OsDT11 was repressed in ABA-insensitive mutant Osbzip23 and Os2H16 RNAi lines. These results suggest that OsDT11-mediated drought tolerance may be dependent on the ABA signaling pathway.
KeywordsOryzae sativa Cysteine-rich peptides Drought ABA-insensitive
We are grateful to Prof. Lizhong Xiong (Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, China) for providing the rice seeds of the osbzip23 T-DNA insertion line and to Dr. Yang Li (Key Laboratory of Plant Stress Biology, Henan University, Kaifeng, China) for helping with the ESEM assay. This work was funded by the Shandong Modern Agricultural Technology & Industry System (SDAIT-17-06), the National Program of Transgenic Variety Development of China (2013ZX08009-004, 2014ZX08001-002), the Shandong Provincial Natural Science Foundation of PR China (ZR2014CQ044), and the Taishan Scholar Program of Shandong Province.
Z.C., X.D. and X.L. designed the experiments. H.H., M.C., W.Y. and N.L. performed the experiments. X.L., X.D. and L.L. analyzed data. X.L. and Z.C. wrote the article.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
We declare that no conflict of interest exists for any of the authors.
- Cheng MC, Liao PM, Kuo WW, Lin TP (2013) The Arabidopsis ETHYLENE RESPONSE FACTOR1 regulates abiotic stress-responsive gene expression by binding to different cis-acting elements in response to different stress signals. Plant Physiol 162(3):1566–1582. doi: 10.1104/pp.113.221911 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ebrahimpour S, Tabari MA, Youssefi MR, Aghajanzadeh H, Behzadi MY (2013) Synergistic effect of aged garlic extract and naltrexone on improving immune responses to experimentally induced fibrosarcoma tumor in BALB/c mice. Pharmacogn Res 5(3):189–194. doi: 10.4103/0974-8490.112426 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Farkas A, Maróti G, DurgÓ§ H, Györgypál Z, Lima RM, Medzihradszky KF, Kereszt A, Mergaert P, Kondorosi É (2014) Medicago truncatula symbiotic peptide NCR247 contributes to bacteroid differentiation through multiple mechanisms. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 111(14):5183–5188. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1404169111 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kim JS, Mizoi J, Yoshida T, Fujita Y, Nakajima J, Ohori T, Todaka D, Nakashima K, Hirayama T, Shinozaki K, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K (2011) An ABRE promoter sequence is involved in osmotic stress-responsive expression of the DREB2A gene, which encodes a transcription factor regulating drought-inducible genes in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell Physiol 52(12):2136–2146. doi: 10.1093/pcp/pcr143 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Li N, Kong L, Zhou W, Zhang X, Wei S, Ding X, Chu Z (2013a) Overexpression of Os2H16 enhances resistance to phytopathogens and tolerance to drought stress in rice. Plant Cell Tissue Org 115(3):429–441. doi: 10.1007/s11240-013-0374-3
- Li XM, Sang YL, Zhao XY, Zhang XS (2013b) High-throughput sequencing of small RNAs from pollen and silk and characterization of miRNAs as candidate factors involved in pollen-silk interactions in maize. PLoS One 8(8):e0072852. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0072852
- Liu S, Wang X, Wang H, Xin H, Yang X, Yan J, Li J, Tran LS, Shinozaki K, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K, Qin F (2013) Genome-wide analysis of ZmDREB genes and their association with natural variation in drought tolerance at seedling stage of Zea mays L. PLoS Genet 9(9):e1003790. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1003790 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Maruyama K, Todaka D, Mizoi J, Yoshida T, Kidokoro S, Matsukura S, Takasaki H, Sakurai T, Yamamoto YY, Yoshiwara K, Kojima M, Sakakibara H, Shinozaki K, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K (2012) Identification of cis-acting promoter elements in cold- and dehydration-induced transcriptional pathways in Arabidopsis, rice, and soybean. DNA Res 19(1):37–49. doi: 10.1093/dnares/dsr040 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Narusaka Y, Nakashima K, Shinwari ZK, Sakuma Y, Furihata T, Abe H, Narusaka M, Shinozaki K, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K (2003) Interaction between two cis-acting elements, ABRE and DRE, in ABA-dependent expression of Arabidopsis rd29A gene in response to dehydration and high-salinity stresses. Plant J 34(2):137–148. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313X.2003.01708.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rabbani MA, Maruyama K, Abe H, Khan MA, Katsura K, Ito Y, Yoshiwara K, Seki M, Shinozaki K, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K (2003) Monitoring expression profiles of rice genes under cold, drought, and high-salinity stresses and abscisic acid application using cDNA microarray and RNA gel-blot analyses. Plant Physiol 133(4):1755–1767. doi: 10.1104/pp.103.025742 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Tiricz H, Szucs A, Farkas A, Pap B, Lima RM, Maróti G, Kondorosi É, Kereszt A (2013) Antimicrobial nodule-specific cysteine-rich peptides induce membrane depolarization-associated changes in the transcriptome of Sinorhizobium meliloti. Appl Environ Microbiol 79 (21):6737–6746. doi: 10.1128/AEM.01791-13 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Verma SS, Yajima WR, Rahman MH, Shah S, Liu JJ, Ekramoddoullah AK, Kav NN (2012) A cysteine-rich antimicrobial peptide from Pinus monticola (PmAMP1) confers resistance to multiple fungal pathogens in canola (Brassica napus). Plant Mol Biol 79(1–2):61–74. doi: 10.1007/s11103-012-9895-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wuest SE, Vijverberg K, Schmidt A, Weiss M, Gheyselinck J, Lohr M, Wellmer F, Rahnenfuhrer J, von Mering C, Grossniklaus U (2010) Arabidopsis female gametophyte gene expression map reveals similarities between plant and animal gametes. Curr Biol 20(6):506–512. doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2010.01.051 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Xiang Y, Tang N, Du H, Ye H, Xiong L (2008) Characterization of OsbZIP23 as a key player of the basic leucine zipper transcription factor family for conferring abscisic acid sensitivity and salinity and drought tolerance in rice. Plant Physiol 148(4):1938–1952. doi: 10.1104/pp.108.128199 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Xu ZY, Kim SY, Hyeon do Y, Kim DH, Dong T, Park Y, Jin JB, Joo SH, Kim SK, Hong JC, Hwang D, Hwang I (2013) The Arabidopsis NAC transcription factor ANAC096 cooperates with bZIP-type transcription factors in dehydration and osmotic stress responses. Plant Cell 25(11):4708–4724. doi: 10.1105/tpc.113.119099 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar