Identification of direct targets of transcription factor MYB46 provides insights into the transcriptional regulation of secondary wall biosynthesis
- 1.2k Downloads
Secondary wall formation requires coordinated transcriptional regulation of the genes involved in the biosynthesis of the components of secondary wall. Transcription factor (TF) MYB46 (At5g12870) has been shown to function as a central regulator for secondary wall formation in Arabidopsis thaliana, activating biosynthetic genes as well as the TFs involved in the pathways. Recently, we reported that MYB46 directly regulates secondary wall-associated cellulose synthase (CESA4, CESA7, and CESA8) and a mannan synthase (CSLA9) genes. However, it is not known whether MYB46 directly activates the biosynthetic genes for hemicellulose and lignin, which are the other two major components of secondary wall. Based on the observations that the promoter regions of many of the secondary wall biosynthetic genes contain MYB46-binding cis-regulatory motif(s), we hypothesized that MYB46 directly regulates the genes involved in the biosynthesis of the secondary wall components. In this report, we describe several lines of experimental evidence in support of the hypothesis. Electrophoretic mobility shift assay and chromatin immunoprecipitation analysis showed that MYB46 directly binds to the promoters of 13 genes involved in lignin and xylan biosynthesis. We then used steroid receptor-based inducible activation system to confirm that MYB46 directly activates the transcription of the xylan and lignin biosynthetic genes. Furthermore, ectopic up-regulation of MYB46 resulted in a significant increase in xylose and a small increase in lignin content based on acetyl bromide soluble lignin measurements in Arabidopsis. Taken together, we conclude that MYB46 function as a central and direct regulator of the genes involved in the biosynthesis of all three major secondary wall components.
KeywordsArabidopsis Hemicellulose Lignin MYB46 Secondary wall Transcription factor Xylan
This work was funded by the DOE Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center (DOE Office of Science BER DR-FC02-07ER64494), in part a Grant to J-H Ko by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) (2011-0008840) and a Grant to J-H Ko from the Korea Forest Service (S111213L080110), and a Grant to HS Kang by Mid-Career Researcher Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (2011-0017357).
- Foster CE, Martin TM, Pauly M (2010a) Comprehensive compositional analysis of plant cell walls (Lignocellulosic biomass) part I: lignin. J Vis Exp 37. doi: 10.3791/1745
- Foster CE, Martin TM, Pauly M (2010b) Comprehensive compositional analysis of plant cell walls (Lignocellulosic biomass) part II: carbohydrares. J Vis Exp 37. doi: 10.3791/1837
- Goicoechea M, Lacombe E, Legay S, Mihaljevic S, Rech P, Jauneau A, Lapierre C, Pollet B, Verhaegen D, Chaubet-Gigot N, Grima-Pettenati J (2005) EgMYB2, a new transcriptional activator from eucalyptus xylem, regulates secondary cell wall formation and lignin biosynthesis. Plant J 43:553–567. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-313X.2005.02480.x PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kim WC, Kim JY, Ko JH, Kim JM, Han KH (2013b) Transcription factor MYB46 is an obligate component of the transcriptional regulatory complex for functional expression of secondary wall-associated cellulose synthases in Arabidopsis thaliana. J Plant Physiol. doi: 10.1016/j.jplph.2013.04.012
- Ko J-H, Kim H-T, Han K-H (2011) Biotechnological improvement of lignocellulosic feedstock for enhanced biofuel productivity and processing. Plant Biotech Rep 1–7. doi: 10.1007/s11816-010-0159-7
- Mitsuda N, Iwase A, Yamamoto H, Yoshida M, Seki M, Shinozaki K, Ohme-Takagi M (2007) NAC transcription factors, NST1 and NST3, are key regulators of the formation of secondary walls in woody tissues of Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 19:270–280. doi: 10.1105/tpc.106.047043 PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Vanholme R, Cesarino I, Rataj K, Xiao Y, Sundin L, Goeminne G, Kim H, Cross J, Morreel K, Araujo P, Welsh L, Haustraete J, McClellan C, Vanholme B, Ralph J, Simpson GG, Halpin C, Boerjan W (2013) Caffeoyl shikimate esterase (CSE) is an enzyme in the lignin biosynthetic pathway in Arabidopsis. Science 341(6150):1103–1106. doi: 10.1126/science.1241602 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yoshida K, Sakamoto S, Kawai T, Kobayashi Y, Sato K, Ichinose Y, Yaoi K, Akiyoshi-Endo M, Sato H, Takamizo T, Ohme-Takaki M, Mitsuda N (2013) Engineering the Oryza sativa cell wall with rice NAC transcription factors regulating secondary wall formation. Front Plant Sci. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2013.00383 Google Scholar
- Zhong R, Pena MJ, Zhou GK, Nairn CJ, Wood-Jones A, Richardson EA, Morrison WH 3rd, Darvill AG, York WS, Ye ZH (2005) Arabidopsis fragile fiber8, which encodes a putative glucuronyltransferase, is essential for normal secondary wall synthesis. Plant Cell 17:3390–3408. doi: 10.1105/tpc.105.035501 PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar