GmNFYA3, a target gene of miR169, is a positive regulator of plant tolerance to drought stress
- 2.7k Downloads
Nuclear factor Y (NF-Y) is a heterotrimeric transcription factor composed of NF-YA, NF-YB and NF-YC proteins. In this study, we identified and characterized a gene, GmNFYA3, which encodes the NF-YA subunit of the NF-Y complex in soybeans (Glycine max L.). Real time RT-PCR analysis indicated that GmNFYA3 was induced by abscisic acid (ABA) and abiotic stresses, such as polyethylene glycol, NaCl and cold. Subcellular localization analysis suggested that GmNFYA3 may activate its specific targets in the nucleus. Histochemical β-glucuronidase (GUS) staining revealed that the expression of the GUS gene driven by the GmNFYA3 promoter occurred in various transgenic Arabidopsis tissues. Coexpression in Nicotiana benthamiana and 5′ RACE assays indicated that miR169 directs GmNFYA3 mRNA cleavage in vivo. Overexpression of GmNFYA3 resulted in Arabidopsis with reduced leaf water loss and enhanced drought tolerance. In addition, the transgenic Arabidopsis exhibited increased sensitivity to high salinity and exogenous ABA. Moreover, the transcript levels of ABA biosynthesis (ABA1, ABA2), ABA signaling (ABI1, ABI2) and stress-responsive genes, including RD29A and CBF3, were generally higher in GmNFYA3 plants than in wild-type controls under normal conditions. These results suggest that the GmNFYA3 gene functions in positive modulation of drought stress tolerance and has potential applications in molecular breeding to enhance drought tolerance in crops.
KeywordsGmNFYA3 Drought tolerance Soybean miR169 ABA and salt sensitivity
This work was supported by the National High Technology Research and Development Program of China (2007AA10Z139).
- Aono M, Kubo A, Saji H, Tanaka K, Kondo N (1993) Enhanced tolerance to photooxidative stress of transgenic Nicotiana tabacum with high chloroplastic glutathione reductase activity. Plant Cell Physiol 34(1):129–135Google Scholar
- Combier JP, Frugier F, de Billy F, Boualem A, El-Yahyaoui F, Moreau S, Vernie T, Ott T, Gamas P, Crespi M, Niebel A (2006) MtHAP2-1 is a key transcriptional regulator of symbiotic nodule development regulated by microRNA169 in Medicago truncatula. Genes Dev 20(22):3084–3088. doi: 10.1101/gad.402806 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ito Y, Katsura K, Maruyama K, Taji T, Kobayashi M, Seki M, Shinozaki K, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K (2006) Functional analysis of rice DREB1/CBF-type transcription factors involved in cold-responsive gene expression in transgenic rice. Plant Cell Physiol 47(1):141–153. doi: 10.1093/pcp/pci230 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Léon-Kloosterziel KM, Gil MA, Ruijs GJ, Jacobsen SE, Olszewski NE, Schwartz SH, Zeevaart JAD, Koornneef M (1996) Isolation and characterization of abscisic acid-deficient Arabidopsis mutants at two new loci. Plant J 10(4):655–661. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-313X.1996.10040655.x PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Najafabadi MS (2012) Improving rice (Oryza sativa L.) drought tolerance by suppressing a NF-YA transcription factor. Iran. J Biotechnol 10(1):40–48Google Scholar
- Nelson DE, Repetti PP, Adams TR, Creelman RA, Wu J, Warner DC, Anstrom DC, Bensen RJ, Castiglioni PP, Donnarummo MG, Hinchey BS, Kumimoto RW, Maszle DR, Canales RD, Krolikowski KA, Dotson SB, Gutterson N, Ratcliffe OJ, Heard JE (2007) Plant nuclear factor Y (NF-Y) B subunits confer drought tolerance and lead to improved corn yields on water-limited acres. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104(42):16450–16455. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0707193104 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yoo CY, Pence HE, Jin JB, Miura K, Gosney MJ, Hasegawa PM, Mickelbart MV (2010) The Arabidopsis GTL1 transcription factor regulates water use efficiency and drought tolerance by modulating stomatal density via transrepression of SDD1. Plant Cell 22(12):4128–4141. doi: 10.1105/tpc.110.078691 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar