Filamin A and DRD2 expression in corticotrophinomas
- 45 Downloads
Filamin A (FLNA) expression is related to dopamine receptor type 2 (DRD2) expression in prolactinomas. Nevertheless, in corticotrophinomas, there are few studies about DRD2 expression and no data on FLNA. Therefore, we evaluated FLNA and DRD2 expression in corticotrophinomas and their association with tumor characteristics.
DRD2 and FLNA expression by immunohistochemistry, using H-score, based on the percentage of positive cells in a continuous scale of 0–300, were evaluated in 23 corticotrophinomas samples from patients submitted to neurosurgery. In six patients, treatment with cabergoline was indicated after non curative surgery.
Twenty-two patients were female and one male. Regarding tumor size, 10 were micro and 12 were macroadenomas. DRD2 expression was found in 89% of cases and did not correlate with FLNA expression. Moreover, the response to cabergoline, observed in 33% of the cases, did not correlate with DRD2 nor FLNA expression. FLNA expression was not associated with clinical and tumor characteristics, except for sphenoid sinus invasion.
In our cohort of corticotrophinomas, DRD2 expression was not associated with FLNA expression nor to the response to CAB. Nonetheless, FLNA expression could be related to tumor invasiveness.
KeywordsFilamin A DRD2 Corticotrophinomas Cushing’s disease Cabergoline
We specially thank Alda Wakamatsu for her carefully help in immunohistochemistry reactions. This work was supported by the National Council of Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq), number 162014/2013-9 and Federico Foundation.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that have no conflict of interest.
This study was approved by the ethics committee and was performed in accordance with the ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 2.Lindholm J, Juul S, Jorgensen JOL, Astrup J, Bjerre P, Feldt-Rasmussen U et al (2001) Incidence and late prognosis of Cushing’s syndrome: a population-based study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86(1):117–123Google Scholar
- 7.Cuevas-Ramos D, Fleseriu M (2016) Medical treatment of Cushing’s disease. Minerva Endocrinol 41(3):324–340Google Scholar
- 10.Pivonello R, De Martino MC, Cappabianca P, De Leo M, Faggiano A, Lombardi G et al (2009) The medical treatment of cushing’s disease: effectiveness of chronic treatment with the dopamine agonist cabergoline in patients unsuccessfully treated by surgery. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94(1):223–230CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Peverelli E, Giardino E, Treppiedi D, Vitali E, Cambiaghi V, Locatelli M et al (2014) Filamin A (FLNA) plays an essential role in somatostatin receptor 2 (SST2) signaling and stabilization after agonist stimulation in human and rat somatotroph tumor cells. Endocrinology 155(8):2932–2941CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Knosp E, Steiner E, Kitz K, Matula C (1993) Pituitary-adenomas with invasion of the cavernous sinus space—a magnetic-resonance-imaging classification compared with surgical findings. Neurosurgery 33(4):610–618Google Scholar
- 18.Hardy J, Vezina JL (1976) Transsphenoidal neurosurgery of intracranial neoplasm. Adv Neurol 15:261–273Google Scholar