Leaf area estimation of sunflower leaves from simple linear measurements
Simple, accurate, and non-destructive methods for determining leaf area (LA) of plants are important for many experimental comparisons. Determining the individual LA of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) involves measurements of leaf parameters such as length (L) and width (W), or some combinations of these parameters. Two field experiments were carried out during 2003 and 2004 to compare predictive equations of sunflower LAs using simple linear measurements. Regression analyses of LA vs. L and W revealed several equations that could be used for estimating the area of individual sunflower leaves. A linear equation having W2 as the independent variable provided the most accurate estimate (r2 = 0.98, MSE = 985) of sunflower LA. Validation of the equation having W2 of leaves measured in the 2004 experiment showed that the correlation between calculated and measured areas was very high.
Additional key wordsHelianthus annuus L leaf parameters non-destructive methods
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dent, J.B., Blackie, M.J.: Systems Simulation in Agriculture.-Applied Science Publishers, London 1979.Google Scholar
- De Swart, E.A.M., Groenwold, R., Kanne, H.J., Stam, P., Marcelis, L.F.M., Voorrips, R.E.: Non-destructive estimation of leaf area for different plant ages and accessions of Capsicum annuum L.-J. hort. Sci. Biotechnol. 79: 764–770, 2004.Google Scholar
- Goudriaan, J., Van Laar, H.H.: Modelling Potential Crop Growth Processes.-Kluwer Academic Publ., Dordrecht 1994.Google Scholar
- Kvet, J., Marshall, J.K.: Assessment of leaf area and other assimilating plant surfaces.-In: Šesták, Z., Čatský, J., Jarvis, P.G. (ed.): Plant Photosynthetic Production. Manual of Methods. Pp. 517–555. Dr W. Junk N.V. Publ., The Hague 1971.Google Scholar
- Montero, F.J., de Juan, J.A., Cuesta, A., Brasa, A.: Nondestructive method to estimate leaf area in Vitis vinifera L.-HortScience 35: 696–698, 2000.Google Scholar
- Robbins, N.S., Pharr, D.M.: Leaf area prediction models for cucumber from linear measurements.-HortScience 22: 1264–1266, 1987.Google Scholar
- Rouphael, Y., Rivera, C.M., Cardarelli, M., Fanasca, S., Colla, G.: Leaf area estimation from linear measurements in zucchini plants of different ages.-J. hort. Sci. Biotechnol. 81: 238–241, 2006.Google Scholar