Soames on ethics: A new vision for the future of analytic philosophy?
- 161 Downloads
My official task in this symposium is to comment on the third part of Soames’ volume, subtitled “Is Ethics Possible?” This part of A New Vision consists in three chapters, two of which (13 and 14) are essentially expanded versions of chapters 14 and 15 of The Dawn of Analysis. Valuable additions have been made to these expanded chapters, but to my mind the most interesting and valuable addition—and really the most striking and important feature of the entire volume—is a brand new chapter on a view that had no appreciable impact on the analytic tradition whatsoever. Chapter 12 is given to an exposition of Moritz Schlick’s moral theory as developed in The Problems of Ethics (1930), which, with a few modifications and extensions, Soames uses as a touchstone in his assessments of emotivism and intutionism in chapters 13 and 14.1Schlick’s perspective and Soames’ adaptation of it are extremely interesting merely as perspectives in ethical theory. However, to my mind, even more interesting...
- Kremer, M. (2005). Review of philosophical analysis in the twentieth century (vol. 2), Notre Dame philosophical reviews.Google Scholar
- Kremer, M. (2013). What is the good of philosophical history? In E. H. Reck (Ed.), The historical turn in analytic philosophy (pp. 294–325). Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- MacIntyre, A. (1984). After virtue. Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press.Google Scholar
- Pincock, C. (2006). Review of philosophical analysis in the twentieth century, Russell 25 (winter 2005–2006) (pp. 167–172).Google Scholar
- Pincoffs, E. (1986). Quandaries and virtues. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas.Google Scholar
- Preston, A. (2007). Analytic philosophy: The history of an illusion. London and New York: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Soames, S. (2003). Philosophical analysis in the twentieth century (Vol. 2). Princeton and Oxford: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Soames, S. (2006c). Reply to critics of philosophical analysis in the twentieth century, unpublished ms. from a talk at the Pacific Division Meetings of the American Philosophical Association. Available at: https://dornsife.usc.edu/assets/sites/678/docs/Replies/Rep__Philosophical_Ayalysis.pdf. Accessed 27 Feb 2019.
- Soames, S. (2008) Analytic philosophy in America. In C. Misak (Ed.), The oxford handbook of American philosophy. Oxford. (Reprinted in Analytic philosophy in America and other historical and contemporary essays (Princeton, 2014), p. 7).Google Scholar
- Soames, S. (2018). Foreword. In D. Willard, et al. (Eds.), The disappearance of moral knowledge. New York and London: Routledge.Google Scholar