Schulz has shown that the suppositional view of indicative conditionals leads to a corresponding view of epistemic modals. But his case backfires: the resulting theory of epistemic modals gets the facts wrong, and so we end up with a good argument against the suppositional view. I show how and why a dynamic view of indicative conditionals leads to a better theory of epistemic modals.
KeywordsEpistemic modals Indicative conditionals Dynamic semantics Suppositional view
For comments, I would like to thank Nicholas Asher, Josh Dever, Hans Kamp, Mark Sainsbury, and an anonymous Philosophical Studies referee.
- Adams, E. (1975). The logic of conditionals. Dordrecht: Reidel.Google Scholar
- Adams, E. (1998). A primer of probability logic. Stanford: CSLI Publications.Google Scholar
- Gillies, A. (2010). Iffiness. Semantics and Pragmatics, 3.Google Scholar
- Heim, I. (1982). The semantics of definite and indefinite noun phrases (PhD thesis, University of Massachusetts, Amherst).Google Scholar
- Kamp, H. (1981). A theory of truth and representation. In: Groenendijk, J., Janssen, T., Stokhof, M. (eds.), Formal methods in the study of language, Part I (pp. 277–320). Amsterdam: Mathematisch Centrum.Google Scholar
- Kamp, H., & Reyle, U. (1993). From discourse to the logic: Introduction to modeltheoretic semantics of natural language, formal logic and discourse representation theory. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Kamp, H., van Genabith, J., & Reyle, U. (2009). Discourse representation theory. Unpublished manuscript. http://www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/~hans/Papers/hpl-drt.pdf.
- Ramsey, F. P. (1990). General propositions and causality. In: Mellor D. H. (eds) Philosophical papers (pp. 145–163). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Schulz, M. (forthcoming). Wondering what might be. Philosophical Studies.Google Scholar
- Stalnaker, R.C. (1978). Assertion. In: Cole, P. (ed.), Syntax and semantics 9 (pp. 315 – 332). New York: New York Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Veltman, F. (1985) Logics for conditionals (PhD thesis, University of Amsterdam).Google Scholar
- Willer, M. (forthcoming). New surprises for the Ramsey test. Synthese.Google Scholar