Abuse of sulfonylureas: Is factitious hypoglycemia a cause for concern?
Several prescription and nonprescription drugs are liable for abuse. However, oral hypoglycemic agents are among the most benign and low-risk drugs in terms of abuse liability. This commentary intends to raise awareness regarding the abuse of a particular type of oral hypoglycemic agent, namely sulfonylurea drugs, used to experience mental-altering effects for its euphoric “hypoglycemic rush.” Information is available on discussion fora online where people exchange their experiences. Moreover, several case reports have been published and described the liability for abuse of sulfonylurea drugs. This article intends to shed the light on this phenomenon in light of the available literature, attempting to explain the possible scientific basis for it. In addition, it highlights the need for health professional awareness and vigilance for this form of drug diversion.
KeywordsAbuse Euphoria Factitious hypoglycemia Prescription drug abuse Sulfonylurea
Conflicts of interest
- 1.Suusman KE. The use and abuse of oral hypoglycemic agents. Rocky Mt Med J. 1967;64(2):56–9.Google Scholar
- 3.Brown A. Feeling euphoric on a low-carb diet? The effect on your brain is similar to an illicit drug. The conversation website. 2017. http://theconversation.com/feeling-euphoric-on-a-low-carb-diet-the-effect-on-your-brain-is-similar-to-an-illicit-drug-76303. Accessed 2 July 2018.
- 5.Anonymous. Feeling some sort of high or euphoria from hypoglycemia. Reddit website. 2016. https://www.reddit.com/r/diabetes/comments/4snzwp/feeling_some_sort_of_high_or_euphoria_from/. Accessed 24 June 2018.
- 8.Madae’en S, Bostamy B, Jaber D, Wazaify M. Death of a middle-aged man after long term abuse of a combination anticholinergic, beta blockers and narcotic drugs: a suspected Münchausen syndrome case report. J Addict Neuropharmacol. 2015;2(1):7–9.Google Scholar
- 13.Hieronymus L, O’Connell B. Understanding hypoglycemia. Diabetes self-management. 2017. https://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/managing-diabetes/blood-glucose-management/understanding-hypoglycemia/. Accessed 24 June 2018.