Effectiveness of a pilot intervention to reduce abciximab-related bleeding in patients with acute coronary syndromes
- 118 Downloads
Background and objective Reducing bleeding events is a priority in patients diagnosed with acute coronary syndromes (ACS). The effectiveness of optimization measures for reducing abciximab-related bleeding was evaluated through the implementation of a pilot program developed by the Pharmacy and the Cardiology Departments at a tertiary-care hospital. Main outcome measure Percentage of bleeding events. Results Intervention was effective in reducing the incidence of the three factors associated with an increased risk of bleeding between the pre-intervention phase (n = 86) and the post-intervention phase (n = 73): unknown body weight (24.4 vs. 1.4 %, p = 0.0001), overdosing (31.4 vs. 0 %, p < 0.0001) and combination with bivalirudin (12.8 vs. 1.4 %, p = 0.016). Bleeding events associated with these factors were numerically reduced in all three cases but these differences were not statistically significant between both periods. Conclusion The implementation of a multidisciplinary prevention program can reduce situations associated with an increased risk of bleeding in patients treated with abciximab. Larger scale trials are needed to confirm whether such programs can also reduce the incidence of bleeding at a statistically significant level.
KeywordsAbciximab Acute coronary syndrome Bleeding Cardiology Haemorrhage
This study is a collaborative effort of the staff working at the coronary care unit (especially to Antonia de Prado), hemodynamic laboratory (Marina), Pharmacy Department, Jose Mª Bellón, Archives Department and Ana Luna.
This project was funded by a Grant of the Ministerio de Salud, Política Social e Igualdad (SAS/2377/2010, Project Code: EC10-028).
Conflict of interest
Héctor Bueno has received advisory/consulting fees from AstraZeneca, Bayer, Daichii-Sankyo, Eli-Lilly, Novartis, Roche, and research grants from AstraZeneca. All other authors have nothing to disclose.
- 4.ISMP’s List of High-Alert Medications [Internet]. [cited 2011 September 3]. http://www.ismp.org/tools/highalertmedications.pdf.
- 5.Hamm CW, Bassand JP, Agewall S, Bax J, Boersma E, Bueno H, et al. ESC Guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes in patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation: the Task Force for the management of acute coronary syndromes (ACS) in patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J. 2011;32(23):2999–3054.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Anderson JL, Adams CD, Antman EM, Bridges CR, Califf RM, Casey DE Jr, et al. 2011 ACCF/AHA Focused Update Incorporated Into the ACC/AHA 2007 guidelines for the management of patients with unstable angina/non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation. 2011;123(18):e426–579.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.National Patient Safety Agency Alert (2010) Rapid response report: NPSA/2010/RRR014: reducing treatment dose errors with low molecular weight heparins. [cited: 2010 December 30]. http://www.nrls.npsa.nhs.uk/resources/?EntryId45=75208.
- 15.Berkowitz SD, Granger CB, Pieper KS, Lee KL, Gore JM, Simoons M, et al. Incidence and predictors of bleeding after contemporary thrombolytic therapy for myocardial infarction. The global utilization of streptokinase and tissue plasminogen activator for occluded coronary arteries (GUSTO) I investigators. Circulation. 1997;95:2508–16.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Antman EM, McCabe CH, Gurfinkel EP, Turpie AG, Bernink PJ, Salein D, et al. Enoxaparin prevents death and cardiac ischemic events in unstable angina/non-Q-wave myocardial infarction. Results of the thrombolysis in myocardial infarction (TIMI) 11B trial. Circulation. 1999;100:1593–601.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.The Clinician’s Ultimate Reference. [cited 2011 Sep 5]. http://www.globalrph.com/abciximab_dilution.htm.
- 21.Reopro®. Summary of product characteristics. [cited 2011 Jun 5]. http://www.aemps.gob.es/cima/especialidad.do?metodo=verFichaWordPdf&codigo=60660&formato=pdf&formulario=FICHAS&file=ficha.pdf.